Mac users? A Forum question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spudsbud, Aug 13, 2008.

1. I'm a new Mac owner. I can't figure this thing out to save my life!
    Does anyone know of a decent Mac Forum, like here where they can tolerate really simple Newbie questions?
    TIA

Jim

2. have you tried the apple site itself? When I was working on my web page I got tons of help right there. I can probably help with most newbie questions or steer you to some sites or very good books.
    glenn

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jim,

I hung out at macosg.com.

They have a lot of sticky's on that forum and just reading those got me going. It took me about two days to really grasp it and now i've got it.

After spending most of my computer time with Microsoft for so long it was difficult at first but it was all me. I was trying to make it harder than it really was and is.

You'll do fine!

I love both platforms for various reasons and employ both in my personal and business environments.

Cheers,

4. Thank you sooo much Gents.
    I'll give those Forums a look thru.
    The simplest things....... I know, I know!!!!

5. Ok... I gotta ask, I thought Mac's were supposed to be easy to use??? :wink::wink: :smile:

6. Three years ago when I was first interested in the Mac, I found MacRumors to be invaluable. http://www.macrumors.com I still hang out there at the forums even now, with no plans to leave....

7. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
  8. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL

9. Or was it "intuitive" ????:biggrin::confused::rolleyes:

10. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Jim, go to the Apple section here to ask questions. I find the photographer's perceptive is often more valuable to me than what I get at Mac forums.

11. They are. The poor guy is still probably thinking that it shouldn't be this easy so obviously he reasons he must be doing something wrong. Mac printed documentation is about 5 pages total.

12. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Get the David Pogue book. It's called The Missing Manual. Make sure you get the correct one for the version of operating system you are using. If it's a new mac, you want the one made for OS X 10.5 Leopard.

As for a good online site probably the best one is called macosg.com. There's a bunch of great people there. Very friendly and VERY knowledgable.

The mac is pretty intuitive, but it is very different from a pc and windows. You'll have to unlearn the backwards, unpside, inverted ways of windows. But you'll get it don't worry.

www.macosg.com

13. Zorki1c

Zorki1c

Jul 9, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Sorry. Mac doesn't have enough buttons on its mouse.

14. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Get a mouse (or trackball) with an extra button. I have a Kensington trackball. It has 4 programmable buttons.

15. Apple has long since moved away from the one-button mouse days.....the Mighty Mouse has plenty of buttons and a scroll wheel in an elegant, sleek little package. When I bought my first Mac it came with the one-button mouse, which frustrated me no end. I promptly started using my old Explorer Intellimouse until a few weeks later Apple introduced their first Mighty Mouse. I snapped one up immediately. Since then Apple has brought out a wireless MM, which is what I now use.

16. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    lol @ haters of the mouse not knowing what they're talking about

the mighty mouse is smart, it has one button that functions as a two button mouse based on which side you press (not side buttons, but which part of the top button you put more pressure on)

17. Jim,
    Using a Mac has changed my life for the better!
    Yes, Mac Owners Group www.macosg.com is a really great place to ask all and any type of questions. They're a great bunch, kind of like this group. In fact, someone there suggested I try Nikon Cafe.
    Which Mac did you get?
    Have fun with your Mac!

18. Macosg.com. I switched in May 2006 and have never looked back. It's strange, especially finder, but you can download a two frame file manager "muCommander" and things will seem more normal.