Macbook Air - your thoughts?

I picked up a 13" loaded refurb, and love it. It gins along nicely with LR, and the form factor is just wicked. I saved a nice chunk by going the rfurb route. Wether or not buy or wait, that is always a sticky wicket. If you need it now, pull the trigger, if not then you might wait and see what the do with the next generation.

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
Saw on MacRumors that the latest prediction for the emergence of the newest iteration of the MBA will be mid-July, along with the launching of Lion. We'll see......

I'm NOT particularly pleased that Apple is apparently holding up delivery of the AIR for Lion. I think it's a pretty risky move and one I'm watching VERY carefully. Will have my finger hovering over the 'sell button' during the first few days of the release. :tongue:

cheers
JohnG

I'm NOT particularly pleased that Apple is apparently holding up delivery of the AIR for Lion. I think it's a pretty risky move and one I'm watching VERY carefully. Will have my finger hovering over the 'sell button' during the first few days of the release. :tongue:

cheers
JohnG

Apple is known for postponing their hardware release to release it with an OS..

Snow Leopard did (if I can remember correctly) and so did the iPhone 4 (again if i'm correct).

ios5 will be out near september so I guess an 4GS or 5G will be releasing then too... The same for Lion a MBA upgrade at the time of release and some what later when the attention and reviews are "over" a Mac Mini or Mac Pro upgrade.

A Mac Pro upgrade seems more likely due to the fact it's fallen behind in specs way too much... although the Mini is running out of time with a C2D (Intel stopped production and is selling their reserves... according to some sites).

So there you have it ;)... Only a week or 2 and the new MBA is there. If you can't wait well... too bad... ;).

Makes some sense they would hold off the MBA until Lion since they're in close proximity anyway. Seems like a pretty smart move to ship new hardware with a new OS considering all the rapid fire tweaks to SSD devices, and the onslaught of tech support calls they'll get once Lion hits the app store.

Plus, based on all the new goodies in iOS 5, it's very possible that Lion will have some special Apple perks to make the iOS/Mac system more seamless. Often huge secrets are outed in new software, OS, and hardware releases.

In any event, just eliminating all the potential tech calls regarding installing Lion on the new MBA is reason enough to let them out at the same time.

I just hope the next iPhone will be another killer release and not just an update like the 3G to 3Gs. I held off on the 3Gs, but the 4 was jslust too good to pass up!

I do think Apple learned a valuable lesson several years ago, though, after the disastrous day when they simultaneously launched a new iPhone, a new iOS AND MobileMe. They won't make THAT mistake again! I'm glad that they're rolling out iCloud gradually so that by the time it's fully launched people will be able to work with it and not have complications such as occurred before. Hopefully the servers won't be hammered as thoroughly as they were when people were simultaneously trying to set up their new iPhone, download and install the new iOS on their older iPhone and figure out what the heck MobileMe was all about at the same time!

I do think Apple learned a valuable lesson several years ago, though, after the disastrous day when they simultaneously launched a new iPhone, a new iOS AND MobileMe. They won't make THAT mistake again! I'm glad that they're rolling out iCloud gradually so that by the time it's fully launched people will be able to work with it and not have complications such as occurred before. Hopefully the servers won't be hammered as thoroughly as they were when people were simultaneously trying to set up their new iPhone, download and install the new iOS on their older iPhone and figure out what the heck MobileMe was all about at the same time!

Maybe it's because I only got MobileMe after I got the iPhone, but aside from the cost, I was never particularly confused or frustrated by it. I'd nothing else, I've gotten my money's worth out of Find My iPhone alone!!

I'm particularly interested in my .me email address and the Gallery function. I really like the Gallery layout and I use my .me address for my important stuff.

For me, Mobile me was a waste of money. In order to take advantage of the $100 a year I needed to go to it regularly and check or un-check selections and then do maintenance-like activities. I went to Apple to get away from 'noodling' with the OS constantly.

Rich

For those of us who had dot Mac prior to its sudden changeover to MobileMe there were some growing pains. I was lucky, actually, as I had been in line early in the morning to get my new iPhone, bought it, brought it home and then did what I needed with MobileMe, but others had major issues later in the day and some people lost stuff that they had stored in their dot Mac account, etc. Apple wound up giving people an extra month or two of service to make up for those who lost mail or files in the fiasco.

Since apparently there will no longer be an online photo gallery once MM is discontinued, people need to start thinking now about how they will handle any images they have there. The other day I spent some time bringing all of those images into my computer (most were iPhone shots) and now I don't need to be concerned about losing any of them once I make the switch to iCloud in the fall.

The thing I most appreciate about MobileMe and will continue to appreciate about iCloud is the synchronizing of bookmarks and contacts, etc., on all my devices.

Thank you again everyone for your responses. I am waiting "patiently" for this new release of the MBA. A question - will there end up being a backorder like with the iPhone or no? I would like to get the new MBA as soon as it comes out, and I really don't want to have to wait for a month backorder on it...

So mid-July huh? How soon before a release does Apple usually make the exact drop-date known?

Thanks,
Jonny

Quite often they will make the announcement on the Apple.com page and say that it's "in stores today." Sometimes there may be a little delay of a day or so while the individual stores get the new machines in inventory and display models prepped for the floor. There won't be any sort of long lines of people waiting to get in the door to grab a new MBA, though, the way there have been and undoubtedly will continue to be for the new iPhone or iPad.....

Thank you again everyone for your responses. I am waiting "patiently" for this new release of the MBA. A question - will there end up being a backorder like with the iPhone or no? I would like to get the new MBA as soon as it comes out, and I really don't want to have to wait for a month backorder on it...

So mid-July huh? How soon before a release does Apple usually make the exact drop-date known?

Thanks,
Jonny

My guess is there will not be a long wait for the MBA. There wasn't one for the MBP in February. I would also imagine there is already a good stockpile of new MBP's right now waiting for the new OS to be ready.

A. I'd wait.

B. I own a 17" MBP and 27" iMac.

C. I cannot think of a time, ever, that my MBA did not do what I wanted for lack of power!

With that said, a couple of weeks is worth the wait.
Unless you have a compelling reason to need one this week.

Once you use the MBA the obvious in-their-face question will always be "Why are not all computers like this marvelous thing?".

Sure, the 27" screen is a dream. My monstrous 17" MBP goes on all my trips.

Still.....in the future.......the MBA is the portable standard to aspire to.

99.93% of what the world does is web, email and word processing. Any 5 year old mac will suffice. The gear-head in me wants more-better-faster for scant practicable end.

Sure, buy the newest and then quit shopping, for in 6 months something newer(though for little additional functionality) will make your machine pale.

I'd wait if I were you. The MBA is soon to be updated so the new models might be more attractive to you and the older ones will surely be cheaper…

Julien,

From what I understand the 14th is when the new updated one is released :smile:

Thank you sir,

A. I'd wait.

B. I own a 17" MBP and 27" iMac.

C. I cannot think of a time, ever, that my MBA did not do what I wanted for lack of power!

With that said, a couple of weeks is worth the wait.
Unless you have a compelling reason to need one this week.

Once you use the MBA the obvious in-their-face question will always be "Why are not all computers like this marvelous thing?".

Sure, the 27" screen is a dream. My monstrous 17" MBP goes on all my trips.

Still.....in the future.......the MBA is the portable standard to aspire to.

99.93% of what the world does is web, email and word processing. Any 5 year old mac will suffice. The gear-head in me wants more-better-faster for scant practicable end.

Sure, buy the newest and then quit shopping, for in 6 months something newer(though for little additional functionality) will make your machine pale.

These are the type of responses that make it so hard to wait! I want one NOW!! But, I will be strong and hold off until I can get my hands on the updated one. Thanks again,

Latest threads

Top Bottom