MacBook battery issue?

I have my new MacBook here and have noticed something about the battery.

Since I purchased it on the 23rd, I have yet to see the battery meter register at 100%. It always stays at 98%. I have used it both with and without battery power and turned it off to let it charge all night last night. This morning it still says 98%.

Is that something wrong? Seems strange to me!

Your battery will not begin to recharge until it hits a certain limit, 95% if I recall correctly. This is done to prevent unnecessary charging cycles. Unplug it, use it, run the power down below 95%, plug it back in and it should charge up to "charged" status.

You can also calibrate the battery from time to time, to improve battery health:

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), MacBook (all models), MacBook Pro (all models), MacBook Pro (17-inch) (all models) and MacBook Air

The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.
4. At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

98%. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Mine usually says 98% and I've had mine for 1.5 years...don't worry about it

Here are newer (current) instructions on how to calibrate your battery. Do this every few months and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom