Macbook keyboard question

My daughter in Albuquerque says her keyboard is acting up. I don't want to throw money away on the thing so I have a couple questions. If it is the keyboard is it a costly job? I do not have the model handy however. Also does the Apple store give free estimates on repairs?
thanks

If it's too big a deal I may end up just sending her one of my imacs and purchase the new one out for myself.

It really depends upon which version of the system she has, and if it is really the keyboard that is acting up.

Before going to the extreme point of replacing the keyboard, has she tried anything less invasive? For instance, one of the common things that Apple support will have users do is to reset the PRAM (which can be accomplished by starting/rebooting the system holding down the Command-Option-P-R keys until the system gives the boot chime a few extra times). Surprisingly, this often resolves issues where certain devices start acting up.

If the keyboard is the problem, you can probably find a guide for replacing it here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

Depending upon the version of the system, the keyboard may be part of the case assembly. The same site sells parts, and I believe the keyboard/upper case assembly is around $180.

One more thing to consider is whether it is one of the white systems with the plastic case. If so, take a good look at the edges of the case where the keyboard is, especially where the edges of the display make contact with the part of the case surrounding the keyboard. If the plastic appears to be weakened of broken, you might be able to get Apple to replace it for free. My wife's system went in to Apple before AppleCare expired, but the tech we saw indicated that the plastic problem was a design flaw, and that Apple was repairing those systems even if they were out of AppleCare.

Hope this helps.

It really depends upon which version of the system she has, and if it is really the keyboard that is acting up.

Before going to the extreme point of replacing the keyboard, has she tried anything less invasive? For instance, one of the common things that Apple support will have users do is to reset the PRAM (which can be accomplished by starting/rebooting the system holding down the Command-Option-P-R keys until the system gives the boot chime a few extra times). Surprisingly, this often resolves issues where certain devices start acting up.

If the keyboard is the problem, you can probably find a guide for replacing it here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

Depending upon the version of the system, the keyboard may be part of the case assembly. The same site sells parts, and I believe the keyboard/upper case assembly is around $180.

One more thing to consider is whether it is one of the white systems with the plastic case. If so, take a good look at the edges of the case where the keyboard is, especially where the edges of the display make contact with the part of the case surrounding the keyboard. If the plastic appears to be weakened of broken, you might be able to get Apple to replace it for free. My wife's system went in to Apple before AppleCare expired, but the tech we saw indicated that the plastic problem was a design flaw, and that Apple was repairing those systems even if they were out of AppleCare.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I doubt I can get much out of her regarding details but the link is great. I just don't want her going to the Apple store and having them tell her they want to charge for a repair. I heard the genious bar provides the service free. If nothing else I'll end up getting her something else and drag that one back with me to fool with next time I see her.

How old is the machine? I never buy Apple products without the appropriate Apple Care for 3 years. Yes, it raises the price of an already expensive product, but they break. A lot. And then it's expensive to repair. In three years on my last machine, the following broke during the coverage period:

1. Battery (twice)
2. Screen
3. Optical drive (twice)
4. Keyboard
5. hard drive (that sucked!)

Each time Apple Care was fantastic.

Has she tried using an external keyboard? It's a pain on a laptop, not to mention inconvenient, but that got me through a very busy period when the keyboard on my MB went kerfluey.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom