1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Macbook Pro: glossy or matte?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by RaceTripper, May 8, 2007.

1. Glossy

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Matte

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Dell has achieved new heights of incompetence and cannot get their act together with my XPS laptop, so I am ordering a 17" MacBook Pro.

So the big decision is should I get the matte or glossy screen. My Dell has a glossy and I have liked it more or less.

2. dont forget to get me one too... :smile:

3. I have the glossy. I feel it adds some punch to the photos when showing them to others. There is some reflection if there are lights behind you. I find it easy to "look past" them and still get a great looking photo.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Well, you're no darn help. :wink:

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I'm leaning towards matte. The Apple Store guy told me the matte is more accurate for color and better if I plan to calibrate using Spyder2. Anyone know whether that's true?

6. Unless he had actually tested it I doubt it is true. I normally use mine with a 20" ACD and the few times I have viewed the final photo my old eyes could not tell much difference. Glossy might have a bit of additional saturation, will have to test it again in a few days after I get the laptop calibrated.

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    You doubt or know for sure? Maybe he knows something you don't?

Thanks, but conjecture doesn't really help me.

8. Matte here.... I want accurate color and I don't like the reflections that you get with a glossy screen. Mine is hooked up to a 23" ACD at home, but when I'm on the road and want to work on images, I prefer the matte screen.

9. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    I'm with Connie on this one. I like the looks of the glossy screen but the reflections bother me. I went with matte.

10. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I concur with Connie too. It seems to me that the absence of glossy monitors on Apples HD desktops is some hint. :wink:

11. BlueMerle

BlueMerle

Feb 17, 2007
    Fort Worth
    I've got a 15" MBP with a matte screen and I've never had one regret. I'm outside with it a lot and unless the sun is over my shoulder I don't have any trouble. I've seen too many people with glossy screens struggle to see. YMMV!

Good luck what ever you get... And welcome to the coolness of Mac :) 

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    You mean welcome back. My first Mac was a Macintosh Plus. I had to switch to Windows back in the late 90s for professional reasons (I'm a software engineer), and Windows has annoyed me in some way at least once every day.

I can't wait to be on the Mac again.

14. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Matte it is. Almost everyone says that's preferred.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully this thread will serve others well.

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Dean , this might be of no help at all regarding your "problem" , but it seems that the Macbook Pro lineup is going to be revamped during the WWDC this June. Now this seems to concern only the 15" models , but Apple might come out with LED backlight displays. It might be worth it to wait just a while ...

16. BlueMerle

BlueMerle

Feb 17, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Amen to that! I'm a network admin and had to use windows also! But now with intel Mac's and BootCamp... well lets just say it's the best two for one deal anywhere!! :biggrin:

17. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Can't wait. My Dell craptop is totally crap now (see my blog for some of the story, updates forthcoming), and I no longer trust anything about Dell to keep me running reliably. Even though Dell says they'll fix my XPS (9 component failures so far, and now they're shipping 6 more to replace), I have zero confidence in them. I need a new machine now.

Apple may refresh the 17" at WWDC, but not with a LED screen. That's for the 15" ones, and the 13" come later this year. I doubt we'll see LED screens for 17" before next year.

18. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah

Julien,

That's great news.

19. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    It's ordered:
    Parallels Desktop for Mac
    Wireless Mighty Mouse

17" MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz Notebook Intel
    Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz, 17" TFT, 2GB DDR2, 160GB SATA, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 8x Superdrive, Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T, 54-Mbps Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and iSight, OS X v10.4 Tiger

I also ordered a 2 GB module from 18004Memory for $145, to bump it to 3GB total.

Now my problem is I can't have camera-enabled devices at work, so until I can solve that problem, my Mac will have to stay home. :frown:

20. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.