Macbook pro memory question

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by DBrim, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my 2.16Ghz CD2 Macbook pro. If I remember correctly, the specs said that the maximum amount of RAM was 3GB. There are two slots. Does this mean that I can only do a 1.5GB stick, or can I do 2GB (there's a 1GB in one slot right now, while the other is empty)? I posted this here because there are probably people here who have upgraded memory on this type of macbook pro (since this forum has more than its share of mac users).

Also, does anybody have any recommendations on third party memory (I don't feel like paying a fortune for apple RAM)?

2. Daniel,

I would use memory from OWC. I have used them in the past with no problems.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/

You can use a 1GB stick and a 2GB stick to reach the mac of 3 GB. If you have 512MB stick, just use the largest stick you can afford, keeping the total under 3 GB.

Mike

3. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I can recommend Crucial. I've had very good experience with them.

4. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and bought 4GB (2GB x 2) from Crucial. I think the older MacBook Pro takes 2GB + 1GB to make up the 3GB of RAM. There is no such thing as 1.5GB DIMM.

5. OWC or The Chip Merchant are both good sources of RAM. Walter is correct that your computer will take 2 + 1 Gig Sticks.

Regards,

Paul