MacBook Pro Touch Bar faded

My 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro Touch Bar has become faded and discolored,,,blotchy... and unreadable. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have discussed it with Apple Support and have an appointment at the nearest Apple Authorized service center for Monday. That's in Roanoke, 50 miles from me. :mad:

No problems here with my 2018 15" MBP and its Touch Bar...... Then again, I have the machine set up as a desktop replacement, sitting on a stand and using an external monitor and peripherals. I rarely need to touch and use the actual keyboard on the machine itself, except on those occasions when I do disconnect it from the external monitor and carry it somewhere, using it as an actual laptop.

I really didn't want the touch bar, but I did want four USB-C ports and you can't get one w/o the other.

I use it to control sound and screen brightness, and I don't see any other way to do that.

I really didn't want the touch bar, but I did want four USB-C ports and you can't get one w/o the other.

I use it to control sound and screen brightness, and I don't see any other way to do that.
You can always use System Preferences, but it's a couple of clicks. You can also do sound, screen and keyboard brightness the new control center (upper right) under Big Sur

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a picture...

Another.

Can't you argue that it is clearly a manufacturing fault and they should do it for nothing.
Arguing is one thing, getting them to accept the argument is quite another.

With the trade-in offer and my military veterans's discount, a new machine is actually less expensive than their repair estimate for this one.

Real Name
Ken St John
Jim

This may sound weird, but have you tried cleaning the bar with a clean, soft cloth? That almost looks like what I've seen sometimes when something gets on the coating Apple uses and smears. I had a thumb print on my iMac that almost looked the same after I accidentally touched it with some mineral oil on my hands...

Ken

Jim

This may sound weird, but have you tried cleaning the bar with a clean, soft cloth? That almost looks like what I've seen sometimes when something gets on the coating Apple uses and smears. I had a thumb print on my iMac that almost looked the same after I accidentally touched it with some mineral oil on my hands...

Ken
Not a bad idea, Ken, but unfortunately this is a more serious flaw. Yes, I did try that.

The touch bar is technically a small "screen" and that blotchiness looks to be the screen itself damaged. I bet that's why they're not fixing it and charging you..."normal wear and tear" type response.

I'm not in your boat, but I wouldn't let the touch bar drive me to buy a new computer unless that is indeed what you were hoping to do. I'd just turn it off in the system preferences and use the control center or create keyboard shortcuts to handle sound and brightness.

Arguing is one thing, getting them to accept the argument is quite another.

With the trade-in offer and my military veterans's discount, a new machine is actually less expensive than their repair estimate for this one.
If you decide to trade it have a look at the new Mac Air with the M1 chip.

If you decide to trade it have a look at the new Mac Air with the M1 chip.
Yep, I was comparing that with the MacBook Pro. Looks like a viable alternative.

But I think I've decided to stick with the one I have with the workarounds I mentioned above. I'm concerned that if I trade it in their inspection will reveal the touch bar problem and significantly reduce the trade-in value. And I'm a little reluctant to be on the bleeding edge of new technology like the M1.

fwiw, I had a 2014/5 MacBook 13. The screen had similar "delamination" as your Touch Bar. I took it to the Apple Genius Bar for another issue and they indicated this was a defect that they replaced the screen at no cost to me after the Apple care expired. You may want to indicate this is a manufacturing defect not due to normal use. Good luck as always.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom