1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Macbook Pro vs Imac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by DangerKilo, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Imac 24

28 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Macbook Pro 15.4

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Stick with a PC

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Ok I have asked this question before, but evidently the macbook pros have come down a lot in price and for the same dollar amount I can get basically the same thing...

Can people please weigh in on the 1500 Imac 24"
    2.66 Ghz
    4 gigs ram
    640 HD
    Nvidia 9400 256mb

and the 1500 Macbook pro 13"
    4 gigs
    Nvidia 9400 256

I live in Japan, so i will be buying here, but the plan is to stay. Also, I never take my laptops anywhere really. Not a big fan of lugging them. My current pc is an Acer Aspire one Netbook, so portability is not a problem.

Daniel

EDIT:: The poll screen size on the Macbook Pro should be 13"... I made a mistake

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  2. If you don't need the portability I say go iMac. That is what I did a few months back it the 24" screen is great for photo work. If you rely on the 13" you will scroll a lot. Also more disk space is always good.

3. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    Ill stick with my PC, its cheap and easy to use. Yes its not as pretty but for the build price it will destroy a mac

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE @ 3.6ghz. Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3. Memory
    2x2 OCZ Gold DDR2-800 Graphics Card
    Powercolor HD 4830
    Hard Drive
    Hitatchi 500gb sata. Sound Card
    Realtek 7.1 Power Supply
    Xclio 500 watt. Case
    Coolermaster Centurian 5.
    CPU cooling
    AMD Copper Heatpipe HSF. GPU cooling
    Stock Good. OS
    Windows Vista Buisness X64

All for under $500

4. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Since you're overclocking, have you tried to unlock the other two cores?

(sorry Ot)

5. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    Yes unfortunately mine weren't unlockable i got the bad batch. :mad: 

6. How do your responses apply to the OP's question and poll, please try and keep things on topic and if you want to discuss PC' use the PC forum. Thanks.........

7. As portability is not necessary I would go for the iMac (which I voted for).

Personally I have replaced my desktop PC and laptop with a MacBook Pro 15" as I already have a nice 24" screen. My bad is that the screen won't play nice with the MBP :mad: 

8. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Cool cool.
    I have phenomenally bad luck building PCs. I have built many. They work perfectly for everyone else, but mine always go south. I bought a kit computer a few years ago from ibuypower.com and it is still running amazingly... in the US. I would much rather ship that over, but I simply do not have the space for a full PC setup. Either way I will be buying a built computer. I dont really need portability, except if i consider moving back to the US in a year or two. But even then i suppose it will be fine. I will just insure my desktop and ship it.

That 24" screen is just so tempting.

9. I'm looking at a MBP plus a 24" ACD..........
    How is the project going?? Did you get the logo ok??

10. i was making a similar choice a year ago. Went with the imac b/c I prefer to have two computers (workhorse desktop + superlight netbook). Everything is synced up and I'm very happy.

macworld.com does some performance tests. Those alone swayed me towards the imac.

I love that the imac has everything I need in a little and easy to use package. Unfortunately, it's really not as fast as i'd like (20" 2.66gHz with 4GB ram). I'm hoping that Snow Leopard will speed things up. Now, I'd probably go with a PC. Sooo much faster for the same price.

11. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Thanks for that Daniel, missed the update. Will check it out now!!:smile:

13. Gort

Gort

Mar 10, 2008
    Phoenix
    You would pay a premium for the portability. Not sure why you'd do that if you don't want the portability. That said, you might find you like the portability, once you have it. Lots of people do.

If you go the iMac route, depending on your budget, consider getting the next step up (the 2.93 GHz model), since you get much better graphics. The 9400 is ok for web surfing and office applications, but struggles on things like recent games.

14. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, there's definitely some luck involved with receiving DOA products or just things going out randomly, I've had no problem myself *knocks on wood* my previous system lasted 5 or so years, and I only build a new one because it was too slow to play newer games.

I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a Mac myself, but for me I think the cons outweigh the pros so far. (but that's just for me)

As for your poll, I voted stay PC :)  but since you have bad luck with them I'd say go for the iMac 24, because you already have a netbook for portability.

15. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I'd go with the iMac. Better for processing photos without question. I love mine. Definitely get the 24" screen.

16. ArcspacE

ArcspacE

Apr 24, 2009
    South Africa
    iMac. Better value for money. Better performance.

17. I had the latest MacBook Pro 13" and have recently upgraded to the 17" 8mb 256SSD
    I also have the 24" IMAC, the 13" is a superb machine for what it is meant for (portability) but if you are not taking anything outdoors there is no contest the 24" IMAC on the desk is the ultimate. also I believe the graphics on the IMAC has been upgraded to the 9600, VERY IMPRESSIVE.

18. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    what about a macbook pro and a 24" display to use?

it is what i am considering but expensive

19. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia

Lol, impossible for me.

1. Space is an issue, 2 items is too much. I will barely be able to fit the 24 with keyboard.

2. Money. (I just dont have any) My wallet woud leave me and take everything.

The Cinema display at 24 inches is about $1800? not in my future. Apple screens are nice. I wish i could afford one, but I have been saving for 6 months to buy a 1500 machine... i would have to save for another year or so to get the screen.

It would be a cool setup, but alas no, one of the other for me.

Daniel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.