Imac vs Macbook Pro

• Imac 24

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Macbook Pro 15.4

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Stick with a PC

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
Ok I have asked this question before, but evidently the macbook pros have come down a lot in price and for the same dollar amount I can get basically the same thing...

Can people please weigh in on the 1500 Imac 24"
2.66 Ghz
4 gigs ram
640 HD
Nvidia 9400 256mb

and the 1500 Macbook pro 13"
4 gigs
Nvidia 9400 256

I live in Japan, so i will be buying here, but the plan is to stay. Also, I never take my laptops anywhere really. Not a big fan of lugging them. My current pc is an Acer Aspire one Netbook, so portability is not a problem.

Daniel

EDIT:: The poll screen size on the Macbook Pro should be 13"... I made a mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill stick with my PC, its cheap and easy to use. Yes its not as pretty but for the build price it will destroy a mac

CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE @ 3.6ghz. Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3. Memory
2x2 OCZ Gold DDR2-800 Graphics Card
Powercolor HD 4830
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 500gb sata. Sound Card
Realtek 7.1 Power Supply
Xclio 500 watt. Case
Coolermaster Centurian 5.
CPU cooling
AMD Copper Heatpipe HSF. GPU cooling
Stock Good. OS
Windows Vista Buisness X64

All for under $500

Ill stick with my PC, its cheap and easy to use. Yes its not as pretty but for the build price it will destroy a mac

CPU
Powercolor HD 4830
Hard Drive
Realtek 7.1 Power Supply
Xclio 500 watt. Case
CPU cooling
Stock Good. OS

All for under $500
Since you're overclocking, have you tried to unlock the other two cores?

(sorry Ot)

CPU
Powercolor HD 4830
Hard Drive
Realtek 7.1 Power Supply
Xclio 500 watt. Case
CPU cooling
Stock Good. OS

All for under $500
Since you're overclocking, have you tried to unlock the other two cores?

(sorry Ot)
Yes unfortunately mine weren't unlockable i got the bad batch. :mad:
How do your responses apply to the OP's question and poll, please try and keep things on topic and if you want to discuss PC' use the PC forum. Thanks.........

As portability is not necessary I would go for the iMac (which I voted for).

Personally I have replaced my desktop PC and laptop with a MacBook Pro 15" as I already have a nice 24" screen. My bad is that the screen won't play nice with the MBP :mad:

Cool cool.
I have phenomenally bad luck building PCs. I have built many. They work perfectly for everyone else, but mine always go south. I bought a kit computer a few years ago from ibuypower.com and it is still running amazingly... in the US. I would much rather ship that over, but I simply do not have the space for a full PC setup. Either way I will be buying a built computer. I dont really need portability, except if i consider moving back to the US in a year or two. But even then i suppose it will be fine. I will just insure my desktop and ship it.

That 24" screen is just so tempting.

i was making a similar choice a year ago. Went with the imac b/c I prefer to have two computers (workhorse desktop + superlight netbook). Everything is synced up and I'm very happy.

macworld.com does some performance tests. Those alone swayed me towards the imac.

I love that the imac has everything I need in a little and easy to use package. Unfortunately, it's really not as fast as i'd like (20" 2.66gHz with 4GB ram). I'm hoping that Snow Leopard will speed things up. Now, I'd probably go with a PC. Sooo much faster for the same price.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would pay a premium for the portability. Not sure why you'd do that if you don't want the portability. That said, you might find you like the portability, once you have it. Lots of people do.

If you go the iMac route, depending on your budget, consider getting the next step up (the 2.93 GHz model), since you get much better graphics. The 9400 is ok for web surfing and office applications, but struggles on things like recent games.

Cool cool.
I have phenomenally bad luck building PCs. I have built many. They work perfectly for everyone else, but mine always go south. I bought a kit computer a few years ago from ibuypower.com and it is still running amazingly... in the US. I would much rather ship that over, but I simply do not have the space for a full PC setup. Either way I will be buying a built computer. I dont really need portability, except if i consider moving back to the US in a year or two. But even then i suppose it will be fine. I will just insure my desktop and ship it.

That 24" screen is just so tempting.
Yeah, there's definitely some luck involved with receiving DOA products or just things going out randomly, I've had no problem myself *knocks on wood* my previous system lasted 5 or so years, and I only build a new one because it was too slow to play newer games.

I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a Mac myself, but for me I think the cons outweigh the pros so far. (but that's just for me)

As for your poll, I voted stay PC :) but since you have bad luck with them I'd say go for the iMac 24, because you already have a netbook for portability.

I'd go with the iMac. Better for processing photos without question. I love mine. Definitely get the 24" screen.

I had the latest MacBook Pro 13" and have recently upgraded to the 17" 8mb 256SSD
I also have the 24" IMAC, the 13" is a superb machine for what it is meant for (portability) but if you are not taking anything outdoors there is no contest the 24" IMAC on the desk is the ultimate. also I believe the graphics on the IMAC has been upgraded to the 9600, VERY IMPRESSIVE.

what about a macbook pro and a 24" display to use?

it is what i am considering but expensive

what about a macbook pro and a 24" display to use?

it is what i am considering but expensive

Lol, impossible for me.

1. Space is an issue, 2 items is too much. I will barely be able to fit the 24 with keyboard.

2. Money. (I just dont have any) My wallet woud leave me and take everything.

The Cinema display at 24 inches is about $1800? not in my future. Apple screens are nice. I wish i could afford one, but I have been saving for 6 months to buy a 1500 machine... i would have to save for another year or so to get the screen.

It would be a cool setup, but alas no, one of the other for me.

Daniel

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom