Machinery HDR software

Hey guys, I was contact by the author of the Machinery HDR software (http://www.machineryhdr.com/) and asked if I wanted to try it out. I gave it a go and just thought I'd mention it to you all.

I normally use Photomatix as my goto HDR software. I've got the Nik HDR effects but I've never been crazy about it. If I was still using a 12 MP camera, I might consider switching to the Machinery full time. It works really well and doesn't produce as much noise as Photomatix. The only problem is that it is SLOW with my D800 files. You can set it to use reduced size images while fiddling with the settings and then switch it back to full res when your done but it's still an extra step. I did, however, like the output so I still may make use of it when processing images shot at higher ISO.

I've been busy with school and work so I haven't time to do a full on comparison and post samples etc. but I wanted to at least mention it so you guys can check out the trial.

The results on their website look great.
How hard is it to achieve good results? I have played with HDR in PS and the results I got were terrible.
I played with photomatix and the results were a bit to processed.

It seems pretty easy to use. You start out by selecting a template (you can save your own) and then fiddle with the controls to season to taste. It seems easier than Photomatix but I just need to sort out a work flow with D800 files.

I've been using Machinery HDR for a while, and I think it's headed toward being one of the better HDR tools. I think there are a couple of things that need a little more work, but given the frequency of updates to the program I'm sure they'll be taken care of soon.

The more I play with this, the more I like it. I'm amazed at how noise free the images are. I've just got to sort out a workflow that is faster. There is supposed to be an update that is twice as fast but its taking me forever to download for some reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom