Mack Warranties

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Simba909, May 24, 2007.

1. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Has anyone here ever used Mack Warranties. I've done some research online and everything I read is negative. I have a Nikon lens with a Mack extended warranty but I'm thinking I should forget the warranty and send it to Nikon. Any comments?

2. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    What have you read that was negative? I'd also like to know other people's experiences. I work about 10 minutes away from Mack and it would be a very convenient place for repairs.

I only have one repair experience with them. I brought in my 180/2.8 AF to them because I had screwed up the focus while trying to twist off a stuck filter. The lens was unusable.

I was told by the counter guy to expect to have to wait 5 to 10 business days for an estimate. You can check online (like Nikon) to see what stage your lens is at. I started bugging them by phone after about 10 days, and after two weeks, I finally got an estimate of $145 to repair the lens. I OK'd it immediately.

The lens then sat for another two weeks before the tech got to it (and after I called and bugged them again). The day the tech got to it, the status online changed to "waiting for parts". Later that day, the status changed again to "completed".

I went the next day with my D200. The counter guy brought out the lens and handed it to me. I put it on my camera and it focussed, but was acting stangely. I gave it back to the guy, he tried it, brought it into the back to show someone, and came back out.

He then told me that the lens needed a part for the focussing mechanism that Nikon didn't have anymore, and that there would be no charge.

So the good thing is: I have the lens back, and it's mostly functional, and it cost me nothing.

The bad thing is: I don't think they were going to tell me that the lens wasn't working exactly right. If I hadn't brought my camera in, they might have charged me and I would have discovered the problem when I got home.

The other thing is: It took four weeks. That's probably no better or worse than Nikon. I expect it's comparable. But it sucks.

One more thing is: About a year and a half ago I bought a refurbished 70-200 VR directly from Nikon. When I got it the VR was inoperable and I returned it. So Nikon is not 100% reliable either.

DAB

3. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the comment. What I have read is pretty similar to your experience and worse. Items sitting around for long periods of time and repairs not done properly. I have also read of various instances where the equipment was returned with damages that were not present when originally sent.