Macphun is becoming SKYLUM

This is probably a good idea. I know that I generally ignore any and all Apple \ Mac specific software. I'm sure that there are millions of other PC users out there just like me. Even if someone told me their program was better than or equal to Adobe's offerings and runs on a PC, I would never look at something called Macphun. (I'm old and I make up for it by being stubborn)

Now Skylum - that may be worth a look. ;)

As a fairly long term Mac user, I have become used to the following depressing sequence: Great Mac Only Software -> Branches out to Windows -> Goes To The Dogs.

Not that there is anything inherently wrong with Windows software by itself of course, but this sequence repeats itself over and over again. I suppose it is more of an issue of something (spark? passion?) getting lost when a typically small company tries to go large. It probably was much worse when Apple had a tiny market share and that the transition could maybe be better handled now.

Fingers crossed for Skylum (terrible name btw ... makes me think of "asylum" or "hoodlum")

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
As a fairly long term Mac user, I have become used to the following depressing sequence: Great Mac Only Software -> Branches out to Windows -> Goes To The Dogs.
I think the sequence is really: Great Mac only software -> Try to make money from it -> Marketing not Technical input -> Goes To The Dogs
Made me think of Skynet+asylum and neither is good.

I've been looking for a Lightroom replacement now that it's going to a subscription model. Luminar from Macphun/Skylum looks pretty good apart from the fact that it's glacially slow, at least in Windows. Opening a big NEF takes 30+ seconds!. The same file opens in less than a second in Lightroom.

Larry

Recently made some posts about Lunimar and of course I came across this ...
0000-skynet small.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Makes sense, when you think about it, for Skynet to set up here in Bahrain and pretend to just be a "worldwide" logistics company. Who would think of looking out for them here?

I suppose I can understand why Skylum (and I agree about the awful name!) wants to expand its horizons and make its software useful on both Macs and Windows machines; this is fine as long as they are able to consistently bring out a quality product which works equally well on both platforms without any major glitches on either or the necessity for displeasing compromises in some way. With Luminar 3 I am already reading about issues which suggest that, yeah, so far this -- a smooth introduction of their latest product -- isn't exactly happening. Lots of problems, especially since now they are also trying to introduce a DAM component as well. Seriously, that must be a real challenge for the developers, trying to get something to work well both in MacOS and in Windows! Yeah, they might have been better off just sticking with the MacOS platform in the first place.

I have been very happy with Luminar 2018, which I've been using since July, and will continue to use it while watching to see what happens over the next little while with regard to (very necessary) updates and corrections to resolve the problems which have cropped up with the emergence of Luminar 3.

Latest threads

Top Bottom