MacPro Video Problem

I have a 2008 dual quad core 2.8 Mac Pro with the stock ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 mb video card. Running Leopard 10.5.7. Worked fine until yesterday when I noticed that the monitor would not wake from sleep. The monitor just goes black and says the computer is in power save mode. Happened twice. Had to restart by holding down the power button. Happened again this morning and again had to restart again. Shut the computer down for the day and went to work. Came home, turned it on and now the screen is black and now matter what I do I cannot get it working again. I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM with no results. When I turn the Mac Pro on, I get the Apple sound and I can see and access the it from my MacBook Pro via my network. It isn't the monitor or the cable because they both work fine when plugged into my Macbook. I also tried re-seating the graphics card with no effect. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
What brand of monitor?

Is it visible in safe mode? I've seen a bad dynamic loader shared cache cause a blue screen before (blue, not black). Safe mode will flush that cache. Worth a shot.

Its a Dell. I have no idea how to start in safe mode and am concerned that if I do and it doesn't work I won't be able to see to get out. Right now, I can log into the Mac Pro, even though the screen shows nothing and access my files (doing some neglected backups as we speak).

Safe mode is just another way to boot. Hold down the shift key during the boot process. It forces OS X to do things that help get around many problems, such as loading only required kernel extensions, etc. To get out of Safe mode, you just reboot without holding down the shift key. It's a long shot, but there's no risk to doing it.

Otherwise, find a friend with a MP and borrow his/her video card.

Thanks, but safe mode was a no go. It has to be that graphics card. Everything else works fine. I was able to backup a bunch of newer photos from the Mac Pro to an extenal drive using my Macbook and my home network. I did some research and there is a apparently a history of this card doing this. good thing I am still under warranty. I made an appointment at my Applestore for Saturday.

Safe mode is just another way to boot. Hold down the shift key during the boot process. It forces OS X to do things that help get around many problems, such as loading only required kernel extensions, etc. To get out of Safe mode, you just reboot without holding down the shift key. It's a long shot, but there's no risk to doing it.

Otherwise, find a friend with a MP and borrow his/her video card.

Well, that's progress. Congrats on getting the backup done.

If you get in a bind, I've got an old card here that would work in that system. It's not a screamer, but it would at least let you test it. I'd be happy to drop it in the mail to you. Not like I'm ever going to use it.

Thanks for the kind offer Steve, but I'll hold on that for now. I turned the Mac Pro on this morning and viola, it works. It did take a long time to boot up and Time Machine took a long time to run too. Making a current bootable backup via Superduper just in case. I also turned off all sleep functions. I'll leave it on while I am gone today and if it is still working when I get back, I let it sleep and see what happens. Apple can troubleshoot under warranty if sleep triggers the problem again.

May be a logic board problem.... A while back I had issues with my Mac Pro behaving in much the same way you describe and eventually it got where I couldn't see anything on the monitor; a trip to the Genius Bar and a couple night's stay at the back-room repair part of the Apple store solved the problem and now my machine is fine again. It required a new logic board. Thank goodness for AppleCare!

Thanks for the info Connie. I just ordered Applecare so I will try the phone with them next week and see. I do have an Apple Store close by, but I want to try and troubleshoot it from home first.

I left it on all day today with the it set to never sleep (used the screensaver) and it ran all day and I am on it now wthout a problem so it appears that going to sleep is what is triggering the problem.

May be a logic board problem.... A while back I had issues with my Mac Pro behaving in much the same way you describe and eventually it got where I couldn't see anything on the monitor; a trip to the Genius Bar and a couple night's stay at the back-room repair part of the Apple store solved the problem and now my machine is fine again. It required a new logic board. Thank goodness for AppleCare!

Look at the bright side -- there must be something you need to buy when you have to visit the Apple store.......

Update: Called Apple. They said I have already done everything they would suggest to do at home and that I need to bring it in to the local Apple Store tomorrow afternoon because it could be either the video card or the logic board. Problem is also getting worse. Yesterday I couldn't get video at all despite having sleep disabled. It worked this morning.

Well, I called Applecare and reviewed the problem with them and all the steps I took to try and fix it. They said it needed to be looked at could I take it to my local Apple store which I did. We could not get the problem to duplicate in the store, but the Genius saw that there was a revision 2 on the graphics card so he said they would run some diagnostics on it and replace the card. I took a week to get the card, but I picked it up last night and it appears to be working fine. Time will tell.

Thank you all for your comments and assistance.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom