Macrium Reflect Heads Up

I just now noticed that though I've got Macrium Reflect configured to delete the oldest image backup file when it runs out of room on the backup drive, it is instead automatically deleting the most recent backup image file. This happened on both of my backup drives though I don't know when it began happening. From now on I'm going to manually delete the oldest image backup file before running the backup. There will then be enough storage available on the drive to add the new image backup file to the drive.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have never allowed backup software to delete backup sets so I have never tested this.
But I find it hard to believe what you say.
Are these Full or Incremental or Differential?
What exactly are you looking at that tells you it is deleting the most recent?

Are these Full or Incremental or Differential?

Full

What exactly are you looking at that tells you it is deleting the most recent?

I reviewed the dates of the image backup files. The old backup files are about two months old when they should be two weeks old. That's because I've been using both drives every other week, alternating them so I'm backing up every week.

perhaps the use of alternating drives caused the confusion.

I have no idea why it began happening when it had never happened before. Different backup definition files are used for the two drives, so I thought that would eliminate any issues. Regardless, as you mentioned, I'll play it safe by manually deleting the correct backup image file.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have no idea why it began happening when it had never happened before. Different backup definition files are used for the two drives, so I thought that would eliminate any issues. Regardless, as you mentioned, I'll play it safe by manually deleting the correct backup image file.
Did you report this to Macrium?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Nope. I rarely report stuff. I don't believe many companies pay much attention to users' reports.
They have no chance to act on the information if it isn't made known to them. You will have done your part in reporting it. What they choose to do with the data should not influence your willingness to let them know about an apparent product problem.

I disagree, Karen. Companies should be doing their own testing rather than relying on customer feedback about bugs. Also, reporting bugs is part of the hobby for so many people that I have a difficult time believing that my report would be the first one, especially for a product that is so widely used. Just my way of looking at this stuff.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have an idea.
Suppose the previous time you backed up to that disk you used the wrong stored definition by mistake. Then when you did the lastest backup the oldest file that the correct definition knew about was the newest backup.
So it is user error.

Last edited:
Suppose the previous time you backed up to that disk you used the wrong stored definition by mistake. Then when you did the lastest backup the oldest file that the correct definition knew about was the newest backup.

Though I wouldn't put anything being past the possibility of operator error (I know the operator very well :ROFLMAO:), it would be very difficult even for this operator to make that mistake. Each backup drive is labeled on the outside as either Offsite or Onsite and the backup definition files are named to match those labels. Moreover, the Macrium log indicates that the proper definition files were used.

I just now noticed that though I've got Macrium Reflect configured to delete the oldest image backup file when it runs out of room on the backup drive, it is instead automatically deleting the most recent backup image file. This happened on both of my backup drives though I don't know when it began happening. From now on I'm going to manually delete the oldest image backup file before running the backup. There will then be enough storage available on the drive to add the new image backup file to the drive.
I thought this might be of interest. From the most recent Macrium patch notes:

Macrium Reflect Patch Details
  • Retention Purge
    "Run purge before backup" could cause the current set Full backup to be purged when running a Diff or Inc. This has been resolved.

Retention Purge
"Run purge before backup" could cause the current set Full backup to be purged when running a Diff or Inc. This has been resolved.

None of those details apply to my situation. I have never run the Differential or Incremental backup; I've run only the Full backup. I've also never configured the setting to Run purge before backup; instead, I've always enabled the setting, Purge the latest backup set(s) if less than 5 GB on the target volume.

^ Sorry it wasn't helpful. If you're still having a problem I would suggest you post your issue on the Macirum forum. Some pretty knowledgeable people hang out there and it's be a good resource for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom