Macro addiction - 1st attempt at Macro Photos

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JoshuaPacheco, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I've sold camera's for the last two years but havent really done any photography myself. I love bugs more than most things in life and decided Macro Photography is what interests me the most. I took advantage of my employee discounts and bought all the camera gear listed by my name. A few weeks ago I took a trip to the Madrona Marsh in Torrance CA. to do some macro and heres what I found. If anyone has any advice, comments or thouhts about my images I'd love to hear them! keep in mind this was my very first attemt at macro.
    Also I don't how to use photoshop to save my life so everything you see is directly from the camera, other than my name ofcourse =]

Tree Frog
    2582149885_fbc1251ca9.

2582978900_f4d17eee08.

Stink Bug??
    2583478140_ae99de286b.

Orange/Red Dragonfly
    2584961317_4e92e5fc3a.

Damselfly
    2583478006_b9ffe47a73.

Skipper
    2584962229_f6bcfdd93c.

Red-Eared Slider
    2584962931_47e1c6b4d6.

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Great job. If your just a beginner, than your off to a great start. My favorite is the red dragon fly. I just love the color, and the great angle is made better by the creative use of depth of feild. That capture really shows the detail in the wings, that combined with the diagonal depth of focus makes for a very appealing image IMO.
    Your capture's lifted my spirits a little . My favorite macro location across the street from my condo was just bulldosed friday. I guess that's progress.

Greg

3. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    You've done well. Just keep practicing with the camera and with photoshop. You certainly seem to have all the kit you'll ever need!

I would just add that the one thing that really detracts from the image is of course having your name emblazoned across it! I don't see the need to do that!

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    You are off to a great start. Keep it up.

5. Hey thanks for the comments. And that sucks about your former macro spot. These pictures were taken at a marsh in the middle of a crazy busy city and theres talk about paveing over the marsh to build a mall and some apartment buildings =[

We gotta fight to keep the little spots of nature we have left in the big cities!

6. lol I just like my name to be seen and I guess its working. haha, but at the expense of my pictures. =[

7. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Joshua, Your right about fighting for the "little peices of nature". And photo's are a good way to spread awareness and conservation. Have you tried using a ring light with your macro photography? I just picked a SB-29 and and having a blast with my old Nikkor 105 F4 and 200 F4 IF. Another great inexpensive accessory is tubes. Macro photography is a little like super telephoto only in the other direction. Getting closer and closer you will find the same challenges of depth of feild, vibration, focus and getting the subject on the "perfect" point of veiw. And by the way I would keep your name on "any photo' published anywhere. If you dont take credit, someone else will.
    Great shots

Greg

8. Yeah your absolutely right. I plan on becoming a member of "Heal the Bay". Hopefully I will get skilled enough with macro and photography in general to help shed some light on our eco problems.

ABout the name I was thinking that same thing. I don't want anyone else taking credit for my work which is why I make my name so big. Just to make it a little more difficult for someone to photoshop it out.:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.