1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Macro flash options

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by kaspar, Aug 17, 2008.

1. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Hello!

I am looking for a macro flash. The R1C1 is quite expensive, so first I am thinking of other options. I have heard about the sb-29s, but couldn't find much information about it. Will it work with my D200? I understood that it is fully manual, how exactly does it work? What about the Sigma EM-140? Is that also manual? I haven't heard many good things about sigma flashes.
    I am also wondering how is it to use a macro flash as a fill flash for portrait photography?

Greetings,
    Kaspar

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I use the SB-29s with all of my Nikons, including the D3.

Yes, it is fully manual, but for macro shooting that's not a problem because I am fully manual for exposure and focus anyway. Like other ringlights it mounts on the front of the lens, and has two bulbs, one on each side. Since the flash can be moved 360 degrees, you can shoot at whatever angle necessary. Moreover, you can control the amount of power from Full, to 1/4 to 1/32. Additionally, you can shoot both bulbs, or either bulb, depending if you want some contrast and shadowing, and where you want it.

Hope that helps.

3. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    That really gets me thinking...
    Some samples taken with it maybe?

4. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Very nice, Andrew!

5. awesome shots, andrew
    WOW

6. x272221713x

x272221713x Guest

cool nice shots, been trying to look for a Nikon 105mm myself also.

7. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Thanks guys. How much should I pay for used ones?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.