Macro flash options

Hello!

I am looking for a macro flash. The R1C1 is quite expensive, so first I am thinking of other options. I have heard about the sb-29s, but couldn't find much information about it. Will it work with my D200? I understood that it is fully manual, how exactly does it work? What about the Sigma EM-140? Is that also manual? I haven't heard many good things about sigma flashes.
I am also wondering how is it to use a macro flash as a fill flash for portrait photography?

Greetings,
Kaspar

I use the SB-29s with all of my Nikons, including the D3.

Yes, it is fully manual, but for macro shooting that's not a problem because I am fully manual for exposure and focus anyway. Like other ringlights it mounts on the front of the lens, and has two bulbs, one on each side. Since the flash can be moved 360 degrees, you can shoot at whatever angle necessary. Moreover, you can control the amount of power from Full, to 1/4 to 1/32. Additionally, you can shoot both bulbs, or either bulb, depending if you want some contrast and shadowing, and where you want it.

Hope that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That really gets me thinking...
Some samples taken with it maybe?

X

x272221713x

cool nice shots, been trying to look for a Nikon 105mm myself also.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom