macro insects with the R1C1 (first try)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by VictorM, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Here's some macro insects from today (and of course a flower). I've been using some of the tips you guys gave me last time. Also, I was trying out the R1C1, which I used for all these photos.

For those on the fence, this flash kit is serious fun. This was the first time I've used it, so it was somewhat experimental and I have a lot of learning with this flash, but I'm happy with it so far (although the CR123A batteries will take me to the poorhouse unless I find a cheap source).

D70s + Nikkor 105VR + R1C1 -- I'm using 4:1 ratio at the moment to try and create depth and shadows, if anybody has tips on other settings, let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow nice images.
    Well done

3. Very nice images. They are very sharp. I especially like the bees and the butterfly.

4. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Your ratio seems to have worked perfectly in #7. Nice shadow effect there, and overall nice job! We have a R1 kit at work, but we only use it for gross pathology. I would love to have one of my own.

5. Thanks Gale.

Thanks, I think I'm getting sharper results with the flash kit than without, although I realized after looking at the EXIF that I could have easily pushed the shutter speeds even more. But something to try for next time :smile:

Thanks for the feedback. I need to experiment with other ratios as well and adapt to the circumstances as needed. But yeah, the kit is a blast to use.

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Very nice series. VR on or off?

7. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    These are great. I just got the R1 and noticed that you can only set ratios with the SU-800. I am wondering if I should exchanged my R1 for this version. Can you not set ratios when using the D200 in commander mode?

8. Thank you. VR was on for all of these, although from what I've read it's effectiveness diminishes as you get closer to 1:1 magnification, personally I can't tell if it's true.

9. I don't honestly know about the D200 as I'm using it with a D70s. My reason for getting the R1C1 with the SU-800 was that the D70s can only control one group at a time, which means that both flash units would have to fire with the same power level.

I know the D200 will let you control more than one group, but I don't know if the menus/interface let you adjust the ratios like the SU-800 (simple push button to increase/decrease the ratios from 8:1 to 1:8 with A/B flash groups). Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can tell you more.

10. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    It only allows you to control EV (Power). Could you achieve the same affect through using only EV?

For example, suppose Group A is 0 and B is +1. Would this imply a ration of 1:2 ?

11. Not really sure, it seems reasonable, but I'd only be guessing if I gave you an answer :biggrin: I'm pretty new to flash photography in general. You might have more luck asking in the Flash/Lighting group, since it's a great question and not necessarily limited to the R1C1 flash set. Sorry I can't be of more help.

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent series. Very sharp images.

13. Thanks Torben!

14. Very, very cool lighting. I have a D200 with SB800, 600 and the D200 compensates but it is clumsy compared to your set up. But neat fun to watch all those flashes pop.

15. Thank you! It's thanks to some great advice, suggestions, and examples that I got from members on this forum that I even tried the R1C1, and I have been pleased with it so far. Although, your setup sounds more versatile for other things, and I'm not sure the R1(C1) is very useful beyond macro or other table-top work - but I could be wrong, since I haven't really tried doing anything general purpose with it.