Macro lens choices

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by StrongSportsPhotos, May 2, 2007.

1. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR
    Tokina 100mm 2.8
    Tamron 90mm 2.8

I know the Nikon is the best of the bunch, but it does come with a much bigger price tag. The Tokina and Tamron are close in price.

I know several of you have the Nikon and love it. How about the others? Anyone have either of them and how is the quality?

Oh lordy, here I go again spending money. :rolleyes:

John

2. JennJenn

JennJenn Guest

I too am looking into a macro lens. Not sure what to get so I am glad you posted this!

3. I don't see how you could go wrong with any of those. I've seen shots from all of them and they are amazing.

4. I have the Nikon 105mm VR and it is excellent. A suggestion: with the arrival of this fairly new lens, many people have traded or sold their previous 105mm Micro-Nikkor, so you might be able to find one of those somewhere at a good price. It is smaller and lighter in weight than the VR version and is an excellent macro. One thing to know, though: the 105mm VR is wonderful because it is so versatile: works nicely as a portrait lens, too!

The other two lenses are also very good -- I've heard a lot of favorable comments about the 90mm Tamron in particular.

5. Sigma also makes a really nice one: 150mm f/2.8. I've been very happy with it.

6. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    For the most part, you can't go wrong. The limiting factor will not be the lens, but your technique and creativity. You may want to see how each feels in your hand and on your camera, but other than that, pick 'em.

7. The one thing I would add is focal length will play a big part in what you will use this for. For example, a 60mm macro will be impossible to use with easily spooked creatures so you're better off with a longer lens.

8. Having used all of these (and the newer Sigma)...I'd say the Tamron is the best of the bunch. Its not built to the same standard as the others (its not poorly built either), but optically it is every drop as good as the Nikkor. In reality, you are not going to see sharpness differences among any of these lenses in your prints. You may (if you're so inclined) prefer the bokeh or color of one over another. All three of the lenses you listed shine in this area, with the Sigma and older Nikkor 105AFD being a bit less smooth under certain conditions (not always though). I'd recommend making this decision based upon something other than optics (like handling, AF, VR, or price) because they are all fine optically.

9. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

If you are going to use the lens exclusively for macro, why not look into one of the older AI/AIS lenses? You will have to focus by hand anyway - the Tokina 90/2.5 is reputed to be one of the finest of any make. So too the renowned Lester Dimes. There is a plethora of choice at the highest quality for realistic prices if you expand your horizon to include these older lenses.

10. Excellent point! The Micro-Nikkor 105 f4 is one of my favorites (it doesn't go 1:1 w/o a tube though), and the Dine/Kiron 105 is reknowned! Both can be found used for $100-$200, and as has been mentioned...you'll be manually focusing for macro almost all of the time. That's the beauty of macro gear; its all good and a lot of it is actually affordable.

11. I am also in the same situation as yours last time but my only lens that I lust sooooo damn much is the 60 and 105 VR :tongue:

Both are within my financial reach but after doing my homework on both of the lenses and watching what the 105 VR can do, I mean using it handheld :rolleyes: I know the 105 VR is the right lens for my style.

Here is an example what I did recently. Its handheld with an SB 800 as fill.

476719500_1b844756e0.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

they're all so good it makes it tuff to choose, imho. i opted for the new tammy 90 macro based on focal length, optical charactoristics, reputation and price...i'm happy...;-)
    476213740_1c6741e03b_o.