Macro Lens Group Test

The UK magazine "Advanced Photographer" has a Macro Lens "Shootout" in the May issue and compared the Canon 100 f2.8 IS, Zeiss 100 f2, Nikon 105 f2.8 VR, Pentax 100 f2.8 and Sony 100 f2.8.

The Zeiss was a Nikon fit.

Being a Nikon 105 f2.8 VR owner I was interested particularly because of the glowing reports I see of the Zeiss 100 f2.8.

To cut a long story short the Canon was judged to be the best of the bunch (89/100) narrowly beating the Nikon (87/100). The Nikon apparently lost out because of its long distance performance all other aspects being equal.

The Pentax scored 84/100 and the Sony 85/100.

The Zeiss (83/100) was judged to be not as good when it was compared to the Canon and Nikon for "features", "handling" and "value for money".

Its "performance" was judged to be equal to the Nikon (22/25) albeit that the Nikon was better close up and the Zeiss better at distance. The Canon (23/25) out-performed both the Nikon and Zeiss.

In the same issue the editor, Will Cheung, talks about his D700 which, after 3 years, has a mere 118,000 shutter activations. He is thinking of getting another as a back up.

DG

so, the conclusion I draw from the numbers quoted is:

'these are all fine lenses, buy whichever you like best'

D

Deleted member 638

The Zeiss (83/100) was judged to be not as good when it was compared to the Canon and Nikon for "features", "handling" and "value for money".
Its "performance" was judged to be equal to the Nikon (22/25) albeit that the Nikon was better close up and the Zeiss better at distance. The Canon (23/25) out-performed both the Nikon and Zeiss.
These findings are contradicted by extensive reviews performed by Lloyd Chambers and by myself (here).
My 100/2 outperforms my 105 VR in all shooting conditions. I can't comment about the Canon 100/2.8 IS, however Lloyd Chambers' comparative test clearly showed that the Zeiss is superior.
I still own the 105 VR due to AF and VR: I use it as a general purpose medium telephoto lens for travels. I don't use it anymore for close-ups and macro. I much prefer the AF ED 200/4 and the 100/2:

Treja_20110529_14LR.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Treja_20100619_22LR.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Best,

D

Deleted member 638

so, the conclusion I draw from the numbers quoted is:
'these are all fine lenses, buy whichever you like best'

The conclusion I draw is that I'm happy I've never bought any issue of that UK magazine ... :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom