Macro lens

Hi I own the tamron 90mm f017 macro lens and have been waiting for the firmware update from tamron so I can use fully it on my nikon z7 11 or is it now time to sell and move to the nikon new z macro i like the tamron but disappointed in the lack of information that comes out of tamron have emailed them but never got replies

JLH

I just found a nice 105 Macro (F mount) used at my local dealer. Brought it home and the next day we get word on the new Nikon Z macro. Needless to say I am returning the F version and paying more for the new Z model. I saw a comparison test and the new Z macro is noticeably improved to say the least. Slowly I transition from FX to Z.....

I own the tamron 90mm f017 macro lens and have been waiting for the firmware update from tamron so I can use fully it on my nikon z7

I highly doubt that Tamron will be able to provide a firmware update that will allow it to auto focus when mounting it on a Nikon mirrorless camera. That's because I've never heard of any third-party manufacturer of any lens being able to make that happen for a lens that was originally designed to be used on an F-mount camera.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that Tamron will be able to provide a firmware update that will allow it to auto focus when mounting it on a Nikon mirrorless camera. That's because I've never heard of any third-party manufacturer of any lens being able to make that happen for a lens that was originally designed to be used on an F-mount camera.
My other three tamrons all g2 have all been updated and work fine but for some reason the macro is not one of them lol

My other three tamrons all g2 have all been updated

That's really interesting. The reason I'm interested is that I have a Tamron macro lens. Though I'm happy using it mounted on my Nikon Z6 using manual focus or my Nikon D7000 when auto focusing is required, it would definitely be handy to be able to auto focus when it's mounted on the Z6. Thanks for the information about your G2 lens updates!

I've now learned, thanks to Carmot piquing my interest, that if the Tamron 90mm macro lens is serial number 016338 or later, the lens can be updated using the Tamron Tap-in console. The console retails at B&H for $59. Tamron maintains a website and software (apparently free) for updating while the console is attached to the lens. This is all news to me.

Lens models that are compatible with Tamron Tap-in console updates: https://www.tamron.jp/en/support/release_note.html Click Details for confirmation about the serial number and for an explanation of the latest update release. I suppose this is the website we should occasionally check to determine if a new update has been released.

B&H's website about the Tap-in console: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...in_console_for_nikon.html/overview?ap=y&smp=y

Having said all that, I'm highly skeptical that an update for the macro lens that will allow auto focusing when mounted on a Z camera with the FTZ adapter is forthcoming. That's because I checked all four of the G2 lenses listed on the Tamron website provided above and learned that the update for those lenses was released November 2018. Two-and-a-half years later the comparable update for the macro lens hasn't been released, so I doubt that it's ever going to happen.

Last edited:

JLH

I have two Tamron lenses that I have used without issue on my Z bodies. Both are "late model". On the other hand I have two "older" model Tamron's and they are flaky on the Z's, sort of hit and miss.

Hi I own the tamron 90mm f017 macro lens and have been waiting for the firmware update from tamron so I can use fully it on my nikon z7 11 or is it now time to sell and move to the nikon new z macro i like the tamron but disappointed in the lack of information that comes out of tamron have emailed them but never got replies
Hi just received a reply from tamron lenes they can't give a time on a release date so looks like a new nikon ?

Did Tamron say that they plan to release such an update? My guess is that they didn't but it would be helpful to know that detail.
This is the message I received
Hi John, I am sorry but we have not received any further information from Tamron regarding this update yet. This was from uk tamron lens

Real Name
Rodney
I have that Tamron as well. I was confused, I thought it was the macro you can send in to get updated, but alas, it is not, that is the older one. I only got it 2 years ago for my D800. I wish it was updated for FTZ ?

Real Name
Doug
I faced the same dilemma with the Tamron. I sold it and waited a bit then found a very nice Sigma 105 EX DG OS HSM (F mount). AF via the FTZ is fine and it is a good lens. Got it for a bit over $400 used. It will serve me until I decide if I want the new Z-mount Nikon enough to pony up almost 3x what I paid for the Sigma.

I no longer have any F-mount bodies so any F-mount lenses I retain must be considered "legacy" for me.

JLH

The reviews I have read speak very highly of the new Z 105 Macro. One review compared the new Z lens to the current 105 F macro. The current 105 macro is highly regarded but the new Z lens was clearly an improvement. I returned the F mount 105 I had just picked up "used" and put my name on the list for the new Z model. I feel its worth the extra money as I am a long time macro fan.

Real Name
Leif
Macro lenses are traditionally excellent, I had the older Tamron 90mm F2.8 and it was sharper than the Nikon equivalent especially with a TC. The Nikon 105mm F2.8 AFD is excellent, as are the two 60mm AF micros. If you use the lens wide open, or nearly so, or if you shoot subjects where CA may appear, go for the new one. The only issue I had with the 60mm AFS F2.8 lens was some CA on specular highlights.

Latest threads

Top Bottom