Macro Lens ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by HAVOC, Jun 26, 2005.

1. How good is the AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D ? I have the chance to buy one for a reasonable price, not that much more than the price of the Tamron 90mm or the Sigma 105mm ? Any examples of what this lens is capable of and any opinions would be very appreciated , thanks for any help.

2. hve a look at dmwphoto.smugmug.com and look at my macro section. the fiddle heads are a good example of the lens you are looking at. it is incredibly sharp.

3. Dave, I don't see the 105/2.8 on your list of lenses. Did you trade it for the 200/4?

4. I sold it with the help you gave me when I listed it. (you fixed my white balance). Did not need both and I love the 200mm. The 105 was awesome too.

5. kg74

kg74 Guest

Tamron 90mm macro is a great lens. Price is pretty reasonable also.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The 105 mm Micro-Nikkor is an excellent lens. Extremely sharp.

7. This is an important question to me.. is the Tamron 90 sharp enough to be worth the money savings. Everything I have read is that the 105 is so sharp that some people feel it should be used exclusively for technical product shots.

The 105 also does 1:1 macro which the 90mm Tamron will not do.

So..is there anyone that would choose the 90 over the 105 based on image quality?

8. Josh,

Let me correct one misconception from above, the Tamron is 1:1. I have one of the original versions of this lens (pre-di) and can definitely state that it is. Also, the Tamron website states it as well.

As to sharpness I can't compare it with the Nikon, but it is extremely sharp. My avatar is a cicada from last year taken with this lens. I have an 8x10 of this shot at my desk at work (a great conversation piece) and it is very sharp. When I take flower shots with this lens and a tripod it can at times look fake because it is that sharp. I have never considered changing to the Nikon. I have considered getting either the Tamron 180 or the Nikon 200 to get me further away from my subjects. Since the cicadas last year I am interested in bugs but they tend to high tail it away if I get close enough with the 90mm.

I hope this answers some questions for you.

9. Thanks for the info Scott!!

10. Josh,

No problem. I wish I had some photos posted to point you to. Maybe I can post some later, if I can devote some time to it. :oops:

11. Thanks. I went ahead and buying sinapps' 85 f/1.8

The price was too good to pass up and someday I will get a macro when I have fun money.

12. I bought Dave's 105 and it is an awesome lens..........thanks again Dave. :p

13. welcome Scott. Glad you are enjoying it. it really is a GREAT lens.

14. Brew

Brew Guest

Two quickies from my 90mm. Both hand held and taken in raw saved to Jpeg. My wife was down sized but the bee was highly cropped.

I really haven't had the time to really test this lens out but so far I like it a lot.

15. The girl is cuter.