Macro Lenses

I have Nikon D80 with ket lense. What is the best macro lense for this camera please?:confused:

There is no best macro lens for the camera. The choice of macro lens should be based on what you intend to shoot, how much weight you are willing to carry, whether you will use a tripod etc. I suggest you take a little time and read up on these things to make the best decision.

It's generally agreed that all modern macro lenses provide sharp images. The most basic choice is focal length, which relates to how far you can be from your subject.

If you have any specific questions as you are doing your research, I am sure you will get some help here.

Barry

I suggest you browse through the macro forum (all 32 pages!). There are some fantastic shots taken with a range of lenses (by no means all of them dedicated macro ones).

Barry makes a very good point, there is no ideal macro lens.

You will have to fill us in on your usage preferences and budget before we can really make good suggestions.

I like both of my macro lenses very much and I have used the Sig 150mm that John has and that's a good optic too.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I own a Sigma 150mm 2.8 as well, and I love it, but the other posters are correct - there is no 'best' macro lens; it all depends on what you want to shoot, and in my case, how much weight you can deal with. For instance, the 150mm, for me, is quite heavy and I find I need to use a tripod in order to get great shots. If you prefer to hand hold, then a lighter weight macro lens may be better suited for you. Again, it all depends on what you want and your desired outcome.

Chris has a great idea - scroll thru the macro forum. Then do some research to see which lens would be best for you. Another idea - maybe there's a camera shop near where you live that provides lens rentals? If so, that may be a way for you to test the waters, so to speak, before committing your $$.

Part of the reason so many are saying "there is no best" is to do with focal length and speed. A 60mm is great for sharp focus but tiny critters are going to get REAL uncomfortable with you getting that close. A 105mm or 150mm would be better to maintain a respectable distance.

The other side of the equation is speed. Any movement in the macro world is magnified under higher zoom. The faster the lens the better if your subject is moving (VR comes in handy here). If you are doing product shots on stationary objects (e.g. jewelry, etc) this is a relatively non-issue.

So you see, deciding on what you want to shoot is key to picking a lens.

I like the 105VR - fast and VR allows hand-held for many shots. Pricey though.

As others have noted - it also depends on what you're shooting. Depending on what you already have, the Kenko spacers let you get macro capabilities out of other lenses.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom