Macro OF a Flower! ;c)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Steve S, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    (subject line in deference to the forum title, in case no one got that little pun :wink:
    Saw Flew's great stuff, and of course, had to try it for myself. This is the result of 8 tries, much "landscaping" to clear off the area. Does anyone else do that? Shot with D2X/70-200VR (off) + 500D Closeup lens, on tripod, f22, 1/4 sec shutter, using Bulb setting.
    original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well that sure beats mine. :lol:

Very nice Steve. I'll bet that it looks even better on my monitors at home. We need to have an informal contest featuring shots with this combo. I'd like to see what others can come with.

I'd also like to see some comparisons with the 200mm micro, but Dave is still stringing me along.... 8)

BTW, yes I do landscape when necessary. :roll:

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I'll betcha the diff between a true macro lens,

& this rig is the much greater DOF you get with a true macro lens. You were right when you said the DOF is razor thin with this setup! Even stopped down all the way, it's still a small fraction of an inch! Thanks for the kind words Frank. I do have a 60 macro, so I'll try this same shot with it to compare the different D's-OF.

4. Steve,

The detail and color are awesome! The 70-200+500D is a fantastic combination. I haven't been able to get out to the gardens lately, but after seeing this, I will definitely have to find some time this weekend. I am retiring my 60mm micro because I use the 70-180 more frequently. I am also going to try the 500D on the 17-55DX.

I think the 200mm micro is officially off of my wish list now. I will have to come up with something else...like the Beast! :twisted:

Here are two insane examples of the 70-200+500D: http://www.pbase.com/cympearson/image/45030724 and http://www.pbase.com/cympearson/image/45030728.

Frank,

I think an informal contest would be a lot of fun. This combination has greatly decreased the weight of my bag.

5. Oh beautiful...Color out of this world, but I liked them.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Crystall,

The 70-200VR + 500D has a pretty good working range, but that is a little too close to a yellow jacket nest for me. :roll:

I'll see if I can set up a little contest this weekend. :wink:

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Now, that IS a little crazy Crystal!

Don't know if I like that combo for bee shots! :shock: