Macro Rust

I've been experimenting with a reversing ring and took a few photos with it yesterday with a 24 f/2.8 AI-s mounted on a D700. Rust is always an interesting subject but wonderful things happen when we get VERY close to the rust... Enjoy!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice images. It's a very interesting choice of subjects. I especially like #1.

Thanks Mike and Art. On the choice of subjects, that definitely becomes a challenge when one shoots hand held, as I do. The focal plane is remarkably thin and that is found with this combination somewhere between two and three inches from the subject. The slightest movement of the subject or of the camera makes focus impossible to achieve. So I look for subjects that are stationary that offer me some place to rest my arm or shoulder so I can steady the camera.

The first shot is of a bolt attaching a rack to the rear of a pickup truck and I used the top of the tailgate as support when I leaned in for the shot. The focus confirmation light is pretty useless in such situations because focus passes so quickly that moving my eye from subject to the light invariably misses it. So I shoot when the subject appears in focus. Definitely it is win some and lose some situation and multiple exposures are necessary to insure getting one in focus. Sometimes I don't get a sharp image despite having taken four or five. But the resulting image can be so intriguing that the effort is worth making, at least in my opinion. I imagine the reversing ring will become a useful adjunct to the rest of my gear, which includes extension tubes and closeup lenses as well.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom