Macro setup--or spending my kids' inheritance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
MGlennn said:
Neat outfit and super shots Jerry... :)

Can you elaborate a little more on the RRS bracket and how you have everything attached and the "centering" of the flash over the lens..??
I'm not absolutely certain what you are asking but here goes: The RRS orbital tilt flash bracket comes with one tilting flash mount and I added a second one purchased from RRS. These are adjustable and slide around the mount itself. The master flash (in this case an SB800) is attached to the SC17 cord which screws to the tilting flash mount. The slave (an SB600) is attached to the RRS flash mount via a Nikon AS10 TTL multi flash adapter. It is a tad awkward, but one CAN use the table top mount that comes with the SB800 or SB600--simply screw it directly to the RRS tilting flash mount. Heck, one could simply hold the 2nd flash by hand if need be.
The RRS Orbital tilt flash bracket is attached to a RRS lens mount plate screwed to the foot of the 200 micro. This fits into a RRS clamp or, in this case, a clamp that comes with the Wimberley Sidekick.
Regarding centering the camera/lens with the bracket. I can't. The RRS orbital tilt flash bracket comes in three sizes. The one shown is the middle size which will work with my 300 mm telephoto as well. Perhaps the smallest size would center nicely. However, I now wish that I had considered the largest size to get a tad better spread of the two flashes and the flashes a bit higher on the camera, even though it would be even more off center. I may be incorrect re this, but I really don't think it is important for micro/macro work whether the lens is centered with the flash bracket (within reason, of course). Someone please jump in and correct me here if I am wrong. I certainly can't observe any differences from macros I have done with film over the years where the flashes were pretty much centered with respect to the lens.
Hope that this info helps?
J. Snider

cwilt said:
Jerry,

That is a great setup and you prove just how well it works with your images.

I noticed on the last image that you were at ISO800 and +3ev on the flashes to get f20 at 1/320. Is that normal for your setup? How far away are you with a shot like that?

I have been thinking about setting up my SB600's on tripods when I do bug shots. This post may push me to try it sooner.
Charles,
A lot of my macro work has been done with an 80-200 Nikkor zoom and a 5T diopter (with reducing ring). The Canon diopter is also highly recommended. Unfortunately, the 80-200 took a header and is not focusing properly, thus am sticking with the 200 micro. I really like the former as I could zoom in or out for better composition, etc. The flashes worked great with the latter. Your idea of using tripods to support flash for your telephoto is a good idea, but have you thought of using something like a Better Beamer to concentrate the flash on the subject from a distance? Might be fun to try. I write this in complete ignorance, however!
J. Snider

Jerry,

Your post gave me the push I needed. Here are a few from today. With my usual lens setup of 300/4 + 1.4tc + 30mm extension tube plus, 1 SB800 on camera as master, and 3 SB600's surrounding the bush.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More experimenting is needed, but I don't think it was a bad first attempt. Working disctance was about 3 feet.

Wish I had my D2x back. :cry:

Charles,
Your pics speak for themselves. Love the first one, especially! Nice work, and you will only get better. I am certainly not good enough to give you suggestions. Perhaps others with greater knowledge will contribute.
J. Snider

Charles, I'd say that you are a pretty quick learner. These shots are great, and it looks like you have a pretty good combo there.

Jerry, I read your response on getting the middle flash bracket, and I have to agree with you that the biggest would seem to be the best, for just the reason that you stated. I don't know how much moving the flashes away from the bracket can help in reducing red-eye when shooting with the 300 2.8, but it certainly can't hurt. And I like the idea of getting the flash(es) away from the lens when shooting macros as well. Thanks for the info.

Real Name
Chris
That thing's great Jerry! I don't shoot a whole lot of bugs, but I'd just like to walk into a party carrying that monster. I like the look better than the laser thing, cause it's fashionably black.

;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom