"Macro" Shooting

I was taking pictures with my D70 and the kit lens. As I got to close to the subject, the AF didn't work and my confirmation beep was non-existent. I typically shoot in P mode. When I switched to the Closeup Program, I was able to get close to my subject. Of course the camera took over all of the settings, but the focus confirmation beep was always there. My question is how do I set up the camera to take closer pictures without using an "auto" mode?

Thanks.

Well, first off, the D70 kit lens will not do true macro. You may be getting inside its closest focusing distance. Switching to manual focus may help. Most macro shooters will use manual focusing. Second, try using aperture priority mode, since it will be necessary to use a relatively small aperture to ensure adequate depth of field at close distances.

The kit lens will not let you get as close as you want. I can't get the number off the top of my head but it has a minimum working distance that is not ideal for macros. To truely focus close to your working subject, you'll need a macro lens, a closeup filter or tubes.

Also, don't bother with the autosettings that the D70 provides. You're better off going aperture priority and determining the aperture yourself.

EDIT: Doh, I didn't read jfrancis' reply. His reply is basically mine but better put. I'll make sure to read replies next time! :(

I understand that I can't do true macro with the kit lens. My question is why can I get closer with the macro setting than I can using the P setting? What setting will work to allow me to get closer to the subject like the auto macro setting on the dial does? I will try Manual and see what happens.

The 18-70mm can focus up to 0.38 meters or about 15 inches.

What might be happening is you have your focus mode set to "closest subject".

Refer to page 67 in your D70 Manual

In Close-Up Mode you will automatically force the camera into "Single Area".

You are probably trying to do a close up but have something else even closer than 15 inches in the frame, so the camera is trying to focus on that instead of your real subject.

By switching to close-up mode, you use "Single-Area" mode so you can focus using any of the 5 sensors so it lets you focus on your real subject which is probably approximately or greater than 15 inches away.

[addenda]
If you want to change your focus modes, it's in your LCD menu under the custom settings #03 AF-Area mode.
[/addenda]

Personally, I always want to have control on what I am focusing on, so I will always keep my camera in Aperture Mode, Single-Area, AF-S (single servo autofocus).

Closest Subject is great as an "automatic" mode and can catch unique moments you weren't expecting. (aka some child running in front of the subject, it will focus on the child and might make for a nice shot!)

gbenic said:
I understand that I can't do true macro with the kit lens. My question is why can I get closer with the macro setting than I can using the P setting? What setting will work to allow me to get closer to the subject like the auto macro setting on the dial does? I will try Manual and see what happens.
Greg :

I say this in the kindest way, don't do macro shooting in autofocus mode.

You will reach a far better result by switching the lens in manual mode, and focusing manually. This will also allow you to work with the camera easily without switching all of your settings around for macro work.

John P.

Latest threads

Top Bottom