Macro Spiral

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Panos Kazanelis, Mar 29, 2005.

1. My humble contribution to the macro/floral world...
    original.

An Echium angustifolium (Hispid Viper's Bugloss) is very common in the Med so it seems it found its way over to Cyprus as well.

Code:
    Genus, Latin: Echium 
    Species, Latin: angustifolium 
    Family: BORAGINACEAE 
    Common name in English: Hispid viper's bugloss 
    Common name German: Natternkopf 
    Chorortype: Mediterranean 
    Life form Raunkiaer: chamaephyte, semi-shrub 
    Summer shedding: perenating 
    Succulence: non-succulent 
    Salt resistance: glycophyte 
    Habitat or affinity to vegetation formation: Bathas and herbaceous plant communities of the Mediterranean territory 
    Synanthropy: mostly natural, also synanthropic
    Thanks to Harry for naming it, I found all this nice info, too!

2. Wow, Panos! This is wonderful! Just a bit more space at the bottom and this would be absolutely perfect.
    Cheers

3. Thanks Harry, I know... d@rn eye/viewfinder combination... :evil:
    I'm missing details... :?

4. Nicely composed, well taken shot. Very interesting plant.

5. Cool shot Panos!! :) :) :) :)

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice!!! :!: :!: :!:

7. Yes it is an interesting plant, don't ask me what it is... Maybe Harry knows...
    Harryyyy... what kinda plant is that? Here's another shot to help you out...
    original.

8. I'm here!!

This look like some kind of Echium but it is definitely not Echium vulgare (Viper's Bugloss) which is common here in Central Europe and has blue flowers.

As soon as I'm back in the museum tomorrow I'll have a look in my book of the plants of Crete. Maybe it's there as well.

Where may I send the bill for the expertise :wink: ?

9. I think I found it without my book. It might be Echium angustifolium (Hispid Viper's Bugloss).

10. celia bule

celia bule Guest

Panos, I prefer the second one. Good example of Spring time arrival.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. I tried it but the missing bottom part becomes more ...obvious, so... :?
    Thanks for the suggestion Dao :wink:

13. I really like these, Panos. Love the contrast of the second, love the bokeh of the first. I'm wondering how the 500D would turn out on the 70-200VR, any ideas? Wondering how different that setup would be compared to an actual macro lens.... Anyone?

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,

I have this combo, but have only taken a few shots with it. I'm still so hooked on getting some decent birdie shots that every other area of picture taking has taken a back seat. :? What I have taken looks pretty good though.

I hope to get out with this set-up soon though, and I'll post some shots.

Frank

15. This combo is perfect! That means - if you are not into ample DOF, but it makes the exceptional bokeh of the 70-200 really shine.
    I have not shot much with this combo either, but what I have done so far, and what I have seen from others is very pleasing, especially the very smooth transition to the OOF areas.
    It's also worth while to try it in combination with the 85/1.4.

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Panos,
    Wow, love your shots!
    You're an inspiration to me to get out there and start shooting the pretty flowers around here.

Thanks,
    Gaye