Macro when using a teleconverter

Apologies if this has been previously discussed?

When using say the Nikkor 105mm micro lens and adding a 2x teleconverter, does the magnification also increase?

In theory the focal length will double, but do you also go from a 1:1 to a 2:1 lens?

The reason I ask is, I was running around the garden on the weekend looking for bugs. After finding the 105mm on an APS-C body was still a tad short, I was going to use one of my longer macros, but then decided to get my teleconverters out of mothballs. I was going to try one of the shorter teleconverters, then thought why not go the 2x and see how it performs.

It is going to take some practice using the macro with a teleconverter, particularly handheld. The experience was different to when using a longer macro lens, which is why I'm wondering if the magnification also increases.

#1 Setup I was using
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A few examples of my playing around with the 105mm

The next few were taken with the addition of the 2x teleconverter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to all who have viewed this post, and also those who have liked it

I have since found the info I was looking for. I now have a reasonable understanding of what I may expect using various teleconverters, extension tubes, and the NiSi closeup filters I recently purchased but as yet not had a play.

I had a quick play this morning using the 1.7x teleconverter. It is easier to use than the 2x, although not by much.

I'm off out birding so I didn't spend alot of time with the macro this morning.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thank you to all who have viewed this post, and also those who have liked it

I have since found the info I was looking for. I now have a reasonable understanding of what I may expect using various teleconverters, extension tubes, and the NiSi closeup filters I recently purchased but as yet not had a play.

I had a quick play this morning using the 1.7x teleconverter. It is easier to use than the 2x, although not by much.

I'm off out birding so I didn't spend alot of time with the macro this morning.

View attachment 1670106

View attachment 1670107
Beautiful images! Can you share with us the answers to your original questions? Thanks!

When using say the Nikkor 105mm micro lens and adding a 2x teleconverter, does the magnification also increase?

In theory the focal length will double, but do you also go from a 1:1 to a 2:1 lens?
Beautiful images! Can you share with us the answers to your original questions? Thanks!
Thank you Karen

The answer is yes, the lens becomes a 2:1 when combined with a 2x teleconverter. Sharpness takes a hit, although how much of a hit outside of the lab tests is going to be subjective. And like many things in life, another compromise to work with.

The key, according to one of our local botanists, is the lighting when using teleconverters in the field. Hence the use of a custom bracket to get the flash head close to the front of the lens. I do have a ring flash, but it doesn't give the output of the larger units. This local botanist is currently photographing pollinators on native orchids. If you know how tiny many of these orchids are, a number of the pollinators are minuscule and quite difficult to see with the naked eye.

I used the 105mm with 1.7x teleconverter this morning while out photographing orchids. It worked okay, but I think I will try a closeup filter next time.

50361864686_9fcc1bf181_b.jpg

50361865011_6ec47ef96d_b.jpg

50361166733_007d611a2e_b.jpg

50361864816_a5f4924f9d_b.jpg

This afternoon I was mucking around with the Z6 with 50mm 1.8 S lens. I decided to try one of my closeup filters which I've had for a while but have never unpacked. These filters are designed to work on lenses 70mm and longer, so the 50mm is a tad short. I couldn't be bothered changing lenses or camera so used this combo.

The image is bright, and clear. Focusing doesn't appear to be impeded with the filter attached, however the lens won't focus to infinity. It's nowhere near as good as using a macro lens, however it will be interesting to try the filter on one of the macros. I have no idea how much closer the lens focuses compared to with the filter removed, but it does allow you to get closer to the subject using the 50mm.

Here are a few snaps using the Z6, 50mm 1.8 S and NiSi closeup filter

Our Weeping Cherry Blossom tree is nearly in full bloom, and the bees were busy today.

50361527238_b329402d53_b.jpg

50362222926_79b0140b7f_b.jpg

50362222826_013850d147_b.jpg

50362384017_e3bb873556_b.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom