Macs and Nikon Capture

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by frogpix, Oct 2, 2005.

1. I have a technical question that I can't seem to get answered. When I download images from my D2X, iPhoto will not store them. They show up as a kind of file that iPhoto can't use, so I drag them off my CF card into a separate folder. When I click on a NEF file, the machine (G5/Tiger) tries to open it in Preview, which, of course, doesn't work. I can open them FROM Capture or by dragging the NEF icon over the Capture Icon, but can't change them in the Finder so they'll all open using Capture. Does anybody have this working? If so, please drop me a note directly and tell me how you do it in addition to posting it here. I have a 2 processor 2.5 machine running the latest version of everything. I am waiting for CS2 to arrive. Does CS2 have anything more progressive for using NEF files than CS?

Thanks,

Steve in Maine

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yes Steve. CS2 has Bridge and ACR 3.2, which work with NEF files just fine. As you shoot more and more, you will run into walls with iPhoto. I shut mine off from attempting to transfer pictures long ago.

3. iPhoto doesn't yet support D50 or D2X NEFs. It will as soon as possible, though.

4. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    I have a technical question that I can't seem to get answered. When I download images from my D2X, iPhoto will not store them. They show up as a kind of file that iPhoto can't use, so I drag them off my CF card into a separate folder. When I click on a NEF file, the machine (G5/Tiger) tries to open it in Preview, which, of course, doesn't work. I can open them FROM Capture or by dragging the NEF icon over the Capture Icon, but can't change them in the Finder so they'll all open using Capture. Does anybody have this working? If so, please drop me a note directly and tell me how you do it in addition to posting it here. I have a 2 processor 2.5 machine running the latest version of everything. I am waiting for CS2 to arrive. Does CS2 have anything more progressive for using NEF files than CS?

Thanks,

Steve in Maine

Easy. Click on one of your NEF files. Now select Get Info. In the window select Capture as the Open with: selection. Now when you click a NEF file, Capture will load and open the file.

Which version of Tiger do you have? My NEF's open in preview, just tried it.

5. Macs and NEFs

I have the latest version of Tiger. I can highlight the NEF, click Command I and then assign it to Capture, but when I click Change All, it won't do it. I have to do it individually and the default is always to Preview, which won't open the NEFs from the D2X. It will work with my D-70, though.

Steve

6. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Capture

Do you have the latest Capture. If all of your D70 NEF's open in Capture, then it is a D2X and Capture problem 4.3.2 is the latest.

7. Steve, I have the same problem. When I click Change All, it goes back to Preview. But if I select CS2 in Open With, I can set it in Change All.

8. Macs, Nikon Capture, and CS2

Thanks, CS2 is in the mail.

Steve

9. Have you tried to hold click CTRL+Alt on the icon to set the default app linked to files of the same type ?