Mad at myself... missed a shot of Fire Rainbow (added coworker shot)

So I was driving home yesterday and saw something interesting in the clouds, a rainbow. Not a rainbow of the normal sense, but the full colors of the rainbow in the clouds themselves. I didn't have a camera with me and by the time I got home I went inside and dinner was ready so I didn't grab my camera and attempt to shoot it.

Today I get to work and a coworker posts a shot of the same thing. I didn't know it was as rare as it was. I would've DEFINITELY taken the time to grab some shots of it had I known. Apparently it's a rare phenomenon known as a "circumhorizontal arc" or "fire rainbow."

I'll try to see if he'll let me take the shot and tweak it a bit and post it. It's pretty wicked looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Dan, I've missed shots with a camera in my hand, or blotched them, so I understand, the "one that got away". I saw 4 bucks on the way to work recently, and no camera. At first light going to graze in a dew covered field? Believe me, I know. All we can do is try to be ready, and not let the next one get away.

Sounds like an interesting phenominon, curious about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the shot my co-worker took. Tweaked in the GIMP (not my normal editor so it's not quite where it probably could be if I was at home using lightroom).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow, that a great shot your coworker took!

(Happy to help out here!)

Wikipedia says they are quite rare.

That would have been a great shot to capture!

Just confirms there is always something strange going on in Austin :biggrin::tongue:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i very much like this one/nice post-processing, as well
Thanks. The original was a little bland in comparison and desperately needed to be cropped. Other than that though he had a nice capture. He liked what I did to it as well and mentioned he was trying to do the same thing but couldn't quite get the colors to pop the way he wanted.

For those interested here's a gallery of submitted photos on one of the local news stations sites of the same anomaly.
http://blogs.kxan.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=4

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom