Made a decision re which camera for a 19yr old

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bohdan, Mar 24, 2007.

1. On another thread I had asked for advice on camera recommendations for my 19 yr old son to take to Europe in April. I received a lot of good advice and at this point we decided on the Canon S3 IS. Thanks very much to the posters who made this recommendation. Just picked it up this afternoon. Not a very steep learning curve but I thought I should test it out.
    Here is one of the first images taken with the camera.

[​IMG]

This was at maximum zoom ( focus is a little slow at max zoom )and I believe I had the ISO set at 80 or 100. The White Balance was set on auto. Note that this was on a very sunny contrasty day. Some of the difficulties I had were: Viewfinder is small and image quality through the view finder is not that great. When I switched over to use the LCD screen to view and frame my image it was very difficult to see anything because of the harsh sun.
    Still some learning to do I guess. Anyhow I think we will put it through its paces for a couple of weeks ( 2 week return policy ) and decide whether to keep it for the trip or not.

Oh I forgot to mention I shot this image in Program mode something I haven't done for 4 or 5 years. I wanted to see whether that mode could be useful to my son's fledgling photo experience.

Once again thanks to everyone who offered advice.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice pic

3. Thanks Gale...still a bit of getting use to this p&s Canon.

4. Bob,
    Good pick. Nikon suits our DSLR needs and more but we keep coming back to Canon for P&S our first digital was the S50 we gave to my mother-inlaw but we found ourself looking for pocket or near pocket size. I got a a used G5 and my wife a A540 we both like to have the optical viewfinder and Canon is one of the few makers that still offer one.
    I love the articulating LCD on the G5 and don't use the viewfinder often. Do wish it had IS but as a backup the G7 and S3 were way over budget.
    Rich