Made my own coffee table photo book

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Scott Sherman, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Hello Cafe Friends,

I decided to give the Iphoto Photo Album a try, since I have a Mac. I just got the book back and I must say, it was great. The pictures were clear and sharp and the color was just as I expected it to be from my computer. The pages were glossy and the layout was very professional looking. Similar to some photo books they sell at the book store. I have seen at DPR that some are not happy with the Iphoto books they made, but my experience could not have been better. One thing I did was to raise the DPI resolution from the default of 150 to 300 at the suggestion of someone at DPR. I think this may have made all the difference. I don't know because I have nothing else to compare it to, but it really worked out well. It was kind of cool to see my favorite images layed out in a professional looking magazine style coffee table book. I only bought the medium soft cover as an experiment but I will be ordering more of these as Christmas gifts, they really are great, IMHO.

There are several online companies that have been suggested for PC users, but Iphoto was so easy and relatively inexpensive so I thought I would give it a shot. Anyway, I just wanted to share. Possibly if you needed a gift for that hard to please type this might be helpful.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    That sounds really cool Scott. I may have to look at something similar, or find someone with a mac!

Thanks again,

3. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    iPhoto uses www.mypublisher.com for printing. They offer a program for PC users that you download to assemble your book. I have used them twice and the service was fast and the print quality was good.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have a friend that uses mypublisher.com like crazy. Their books make great gifts...especially for the grandparents. If you haven't looked at their products, it is well worth the visit.

5. Color Profiles

Hey, guys, for those of your who have used this service, how do they handle color profiles? Do you have to convert your images to the one for their printer or do they do that for you? What image format is required?

Thanks,
    Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Virginia....

I think all that needs to be done is upload the images and they handle the rest. I have never heard about downloading their profiles.

7. Thanks for the feedback, as this is one of the thing I wanted to do for quite a long time. For gifts though, I just wonder what is prefered between a book and a framed print ?

8. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA

From the mypublisher help files:

Preparing your photos

File format, resolution (dpi) and color space

All your files and photos must be saved as JPEG files at a recommended resolution of 180 dpi to 200 dpi.

For the more experienced photo enthusiasts using photo management software, here are some tips:

• Use sRGB or RGB when enhancing photos.

• Use sRGB or RGB for black and white photos also

• Do not use CMYK, it will distort your images.

• Remove vectors, slices or layers from your images

• Our press does not recognize grayscale. You need to create the jpegs in sRGB or RGB.

• Our color profile is closest to Adobe 98

• Our press prints 175 lpi (lines per inch)

9. books are really great becaue they are so portable and really great for party ice breakers. Here is a tip for Iphoto users on how to change the DPI...

http://crispierry.typepad.com/applepie/2005/08/iphoto_books_im.html

I didn't look at the color space when I sent the images, but my colors on the pictures in the book were perfect. Just as they looked in the monitor. I use Gamma 2.2 even though I have an Apple monitor.

10. Thanks, Randall, this is just the kind of information I was looking for!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

11. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

EasyShare Gallary

I have used iPhoto in the past and it is rather good.
    I am in the middle of making one now that I am doing for my Mother (and 1 for myself too) using Kodak's Easyshare Gallary.
    $29.99 for 20 pages and I have put close to 100 pictures into it so far. I think I will be adding a few extra pages at just .99¢ a page too.
    Right now they have a deal if you want a GAP Denim cover you get 30% off if you enter this coupon in when you order (before Nov 21st). GAP3
    Click here for the EasyShare Gallary

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
  13. Great link Jeff, this has turned out to be a very interesting thread. Thanks you guys for participating.

I found several of his comments in the article especially interesting. I like the idea of creating a book a year to show in photos as a sort of evolution of your life in book form and I agree that the experience of seeing your photos published in a book is very different and in some ways greater than seeing a photo framed. If you do go to the link and read the article, I recommend clicking on the book image and following the slide show to see the book he has put on the site as an example. Especially if the whole concept of creating your own book is new.

I wasn't clear in the article if MyPublisher.com was used through iPhoto in Mac or if it was used as a direct web publisher. I think he also endorsed MyPublisher and if so, I presume Apple iPhoto if that is the case, but I wasn't sure in the end.

Also, it looks like Aperture from Apple is going to devote some of it's buttons to making a more advanced photo album. I can't wait for that to come out. Hope it is all it brags it is.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Scott what size did you up-load your images.
    4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc...
    Got the 300 DPI part :>))
    Thanks

15. Hi Gale,
    I must admit, the whole process is so automated, I didn't even think about it. I just dragged my images into the book in a wysiwyg format. most of the images I dragged were .TIFF files, and were sized at 14.5" x 10.5" for printing. I did not have to edit anything other than picking the page layout from a pre-established selection in iPhoto. It sized them to the page automatically and changed them to .JPG and then placed it into a PDF form for emailing to the printer. I just typed in a few comments next to each photo on the page of the book on screen and when it was to my liking, I submitted. The book came back a bout a week later using ground delivery USPS. It was pretty much photo albums for dummys with pro results.

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I got a little confused at that part too. He seems to be using a Mac, and lamented the fact that MyPublisher.com has Windows software. But he also observed their Mac support is through iPhoto, yet he didn't seem interested in evaluating this. Maybe he has something against iPhoto? (I'm clueless here, as I'm a PC guy).

The article was interesting though, and while I don't think I have enough work for a given theme/concept that would be good enough to put together a book right now it's definitely something I'll keep in mind for a future project.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Scott :>)))

(I like things for Dummies.)
    Well easy will work lol

18. Gale,
    I re-read your question and I may have misunderstood initially. When you drag your photos to the page in iPhoto, it automatically resizes them to the correct size to fit the panel on the page but it does it in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So for best results you actually should crop the photos to the correct aspect ratio in photoshop or something similar, but iPhoto will do the rest for you after that. I ordered the medium book as an experiment. The you can choose what size your photos will be from full bleed covering the entire page to having two pictures on a page vertically or horizontally and make one larger or smaller etc., or customize it to some other configuration which will obviously effect the size of the image seen on the page. I will probably try the larger book with a hard cover next time since the first one worked out so well. Hope that answers. bottom line is that it is quite easy even for a layperson following some simple directions. It really is very intuitive and kinda fun.

19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

20. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Any European hopefuls may want to try this place out:

http://www.myphotofun.com/

It's PC only :frown: but the results look excellent.

Cheers!