Madikwe, day 4

Real Name
John A Alexander
Seeing a leopard tortoise for the first time was good and serves as a reminder that safaris don't have to be all about the "Big Five". Having said that the story of the lioness and the impala was a highlight of the whole trip. We did not see the kill but we had been watching the lioness sitting under a tree. Just after we left the location we had a call from another vehicle to say she had chased the impala into the perimeter fence. The impala was killed by the by the fence, but on the other side of it from the lion. Luckily there was a gate close by so while our driver used his landcruiser to block the line of sight of the lion the other driver went through the gate (after getting appropriate permission to do so) and dragged the carcass into a place where the lion could get to it. In some of the other shots you can see the intense expression on the lion's face try to work out was going on.

All comments welcome, thank you.

1)
48961866746_4aa3ce1138_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Elephants in Madikwe-3 by John Alexander, on Flickr

2)
48961316188_ef8a400c92_h.jpg

Elephants in Madikwe-4 by John Alexander, on Flickr

3)
48961864186_744c22a047_h.jpg

Goliath Heron in Madikwe by John Alexander, on Flickr

4)
48961314538_b34092ab77_h.jpg

Kudo in Madikwe-8 by John Alexander, on Flickr

5)
48961863371_4662011273_h.jpg

Leopard Tortoise in Madikwe by John Alexander, on Flickr

6)
48961862656_5c142d56e3_h.jpg

Lions in Madikwe-06 by John Alexander, on Flickr

7)
48961861626_2a8728e281_h.jpg

Lions in Madikwe-07 by John Alexander, on Flickr

8)
48961861046_65fa1f3b87_h.jpg

Lions in Madikwe-08 by John Alexander, on Flickr

9)
48961311063_092cfe2310_h.jpg

Lions in Madikwe-09 by John Alexander, on Flickr

10)
48962043162_5c02c9415e_h.jpg

Lions in Madikwe-10 by John Alexander, on Flickr

11)
48962042362_a37b95a1db_h.jpg

Lions in Madikwe-11 by John Alexander, on Flickr

Yet another really enjoyable set. The last one of the lioness and the impala seems to be a fresh kill. Did you see the kill?

I never saw a leopard tortoise at Madikwe but I saw several at Addo Elephant Park. I was watching one from our rented cabin and was amazed at the relatively immense distance it traveled; they're slow but persistent.

Real Name
John A Alexander
Yet another really enjoyable set. The last one of the lioness and the impala seems to be a fresh kill. Did you see the kill?
I never saw a leopard tortoise at Madikwe but I saw several at Addo Elephant Park. I was watching one from our rented cabin and was amazed at the relatively immense distance it traveled; they're slow but persistent.

We did not see the kill but we had been watching the lioness sitting under a tree. Just after we left the location we had a call from another vehicle to say she had chased the impala into the perimeter fence. The impala was killed by the by the fence, but on the other side of it from the lion. Luckily there was a gate close by so while our driver used his landcruiser to block the line of sight of the lion the other driver went through the gate (after getting appropriate permission to do so) and dragged the carcass into a place where the lion could get to it. In some of the other shots you can see the intense expression on the lion's face try to work out was going on.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom