Magazine Covers

I included magazine covers as part of a Digital Season Pass I put together for this season. The passes proved to be pretty popular so I will look to repeat them next year. Anyway, here are some examples:

#1 I needed to mirror this image so if you look closely, you will see the lettering is backwards :) Mom was okay with that.
i-t74qcfB-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-CvjnWVL-XL.jpg

i-Vk8F6GZ-XL.jpg

Very nice Mike, guessing the magazine is set in stone, as you couldn't have moved the text for the first one to compensate for the mirroring of the skier??

Nicely done!

One thing you might consider ... in real magazines, designers often base the color of the cover text blocks on colors sampled from the underlying photo. Done well, it can create a nice design synergy and cohesiveness to the overall cover.

Also, in your examples (as is often the case), there's a wide range of contrast within different areas of the photos chosen. In these cases, it can make it difficult to read all the text where the color and/or tone of said text is too similar to part of the image. When that happens, it often helps to give the text an outline that contrasts in color and tone from the problem areas of the image. Sometimes I'd use an outline, and sometimes a tasteful outer glow (which doesn't can either be a "glow" or a shadow) will work.

What software do you use to create your covers?

Scott

Very nice Mike, guessing the magazine is set in stone, as you couldn't have moved the text for the first one to compensate for the mirroring of the skier??
Actually quite the opposite. I have complete flexibility on where things are placed. I just prefer the skiers moving from left to right. I feel it makes for a more dynamic cover.

Cool.

I've been looking for a template on one for a Dirtbike's theme.
This is a homegrown template in photoshop. Pretty easy to do actually as I'm no photoshop expert. There are also templates at places like Bay Photo. I did my own because it gave me the ultimate flexibility.

Nicely done!

One thing you might consider ... in real magazines, designers often base the color of the cover text blocks on colors sampled from the underlying photo. Done well, it can create a nice design synergy and cohesiveness to the overall cover.

Also, in your examples (as is often the case), there's a wide range of contrast within different areas of the photos chosen. In these cases, it can make it difficult to read all the text where the color and/or tone of said text is too similar to part of the image. When that happens, it often helps to give the text an outline that contrasts in color and tone from the problem areas of the image. Sometimes I'd use an outline, and sometimes a tasteful outer glow (which doesn't can either be a "glow" or a shadow) will work.

What software do you use to create your covers?

Scott
Thanks Scott. On some of the covers the text colors are based on colors in the image. The 1st one of Annie is a good example. The yellow is from her boots and the red is sampled off part of the boots as well. Some of the others I'm guilty of being lazy and not doing this.

I'll play with the outlines/glow a little bit more. All of this is in Photoshop CS5

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea and execution. I bet the parents love them.
:smile:.

I've also donated "covers" to fundraising events that the ski clubs have done. This helps me get in good with the clubs who really are my best source of advertising - they put links to my website on their club websites

Very cool and well done.

Can you tell me more about the digital passes and how that worked?
Pete:

Some Background: We have 5 youth ski teams on Mt Hood and there are about 6 races for them each year on Hood. I photo about 4 of those races so I have always been taking a lot of photos (~50) of just about every kid on the hill. My average order through Smugmug (prints and digital downloads) is only about $25 so I was looking for a way to extract more $'s from the parents. The digital season pass was the result. For a fixed price, the Digital Season pass got them every picture I took of that racer during the season. The price was $95 with an option to add a 2nd family member for $45. I've had a few requests for a 3rd member but not many. I priced this really low to see what would happen. Well, the bulk of my measly earnings for this season have been through Digital Season Passes. I used a free magazine cover as an incentive to order before a certain date.

Mechanics: Once I receive an order for a Digital Season Pass, I created a gallery online (I use smugmg) and uploaded any existing photos of the racer to the gallery. After each race, I uploaded new photos. The gallery was unlocked so the families could download photos at anytime and at the end of the season, they will get a CD (this weekend's project).

The key to making this work for me was a new keywording workflow I put in place that allows me to somewhat easily get a Name/Club/Age attached to each photo. This makes it easy to find the photos of that Season Pass holder (I use smart galleries in LR for this) and a Smugmug publish service to automatically update the online gallery. Without this, offering the Season Pass would have been a difficult undertaking.

Let me know if you have other questions. Happy to help out and give you more details if you want them.

Pete:

Some Background: We have 5 youth ski teams on Mt Hood and there are about 6 races for them each year on Hood. I photo about 4 of those races so I have always been taking a lot of photos (~50) of just about every kid on the hill. My average order through Smugmug (prints and digital downloads) is only about $25 so I was looking for a way to extract more $'s from the parents. The digital season pass was the result. For a fixed price, the Digital Season pass got them every picture I took of that racer during the season. The price was $95 with an option to add a 2nd family member for $45. I've had a few requests for a 3rd member but not many. I priced this really low to see what would happen. Well, the bulk of my measly earnings for this season have been through Digital Season Passes. I used a free magazine cover as an incentive to order before a certain date.

Mechanics: Once I receive an order for a Digital Season Pass, I created a gallery online (I use smugmg) and uploaded any existing photos of the racer to the gallery. After each race, I uploaded new photos. The gallery was unlocked so the families could download photos at anytime and at the end of the season, they will get a CD (this weekend's project).

The key to making this work for me was a new keywording workflow I put in place that allows me to somewhat easily get a Name/Club/Age attached to each photo. This makes it easy to find the photos of that Season Pass holder (I use smart galleries in LR for this) and a Smugmug publish service to automatically update the online gallery. Without this, offering the Season Pass would have been a difficult undertaking.

Let me know if you have other questions. Happy to help out and give you more details if you want them.

Mike -

Thanks for the info. I think that was a very cool idea. Did you get a majority of families to sign up? Do you give them high rez images, or just large enough to print 4x6 or 5x7 in hopes that they would order larger prints through you?

My youngest son is envious of your location. He'd love to attend the summer snowboard camp there at Mt. Hood. Looks great, but not in our budget. :biggrin:

Mike -

Thanks for the info. I think that was a very cool idea. Did you get a majority of families to sign up? Do you give them high rez images, or just large enough to print 4x6 or 5x7 in hopes that they would order larger prints through you?

My youngest son is envious of your location. He'd love to attend the summer snowboard camp there at Mt. Hood. Looks great, but not in our budget. :biggrin:
Thanks. I wish I got the majority of families to sign up but I will probably end up with between 5%-10%. I have pass holders from 4 of the 5 clubs - the 5th is a little harder to crack. Long story...

They get the hi-res photos and standard license to use them for personal use (web, email, blog, print, etc).

I did exceed my expectations for this and I think I have a solid base to start from for next year.

You've got to get to Mt Hood in the summer. It is riot. Skiing/boarding in July! You bet. Just imagine 12:30 in the afternoon and kids walking around Government Camp carrying skis and ski boots.

For boarders, I guess the popular camp is Wendell's. Another big one is Mt Hood Ski Camps. Our race team does their own camps each summer so it is likely that my youngest son will get between 8-12 days of skiing in this summer. Can't beat that.

You've got to get to Mt Hood in the summer. It is riot. Skiing/boarding in July! You bet. Just imagine 12:30 in the afternoon and kids walking around Government Camp carrying skis and ski boots.

For boarders, I guess the popular camp is Wendell's. Another big one is Mt Hood Ski Camps. Our race team does their own camps each summer so it is likely that my youngest son will get between 8-12 days of skiing in this summer. Can't beat that.

Awesome. I will not be able to share this info with the youngest son! :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom