1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Magglio Ordonez brings a spark to single A ball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Whitecapwendy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Last night we were privileged to have Magglio come for a rehab assignment and help out our limping single A club. Over the last month, we have watched as, one by one, half of the core of our line up has ended up with a broken bone in the hand (3 players), twisted an ankle (1) and had some other leg problem (1). The pitching is good, but the offense has taken a real beating (pardon the pun). We kind of miss the defense those guys provided as well. While we are keeping our heads above water, we struggle when some of the top teams come into town. Needless to say, everyone was excited when we found out that we were going to get an offensive spark by having Magglio in our line up as DH for a game. Even though Maggs went 1-4 with a run scored, he brought a spark and an energy to the club for a night that was evident in everyone's face. (he kind of looked like he enjoyed himself as well)

2669734667_5548ae8e27.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sorry about the blown out picture. I did not have access to the dugout, so had someone else shoot this one. I did the best I could in pp, but I love the shot.
    2670565956_bdf04555ed.jpg

(edit) here is a better quality one

2672863170_a7d230474b_b.jpg

2670570336_b96215953c.jpg

starts his night off with a single
    2669746593_48894cbc44.jpg

2669738917_4296569044.jpg

and comes in on a run
    2670568588_1afeb20073.jpg

Needless to say, our manager was thrilled to have the added help (or was he thrilled to meet Magglio?)
    2669693941_c6bb30f053.jpg

I think there was a small part of Magglio that kind of enjoyed the attention. He did spend a little time looking around at the sold out crowd (many of which were wearing Magglio hat/wigs) who were there, for the most part, because of him
    2670510950_a13bd4cc23.jpg

While he was only responsible for one of those hits and runs, his presence provided a spark that ignited the whole club.
    2669700405_0a61afdc64.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  2. cool thread, wendy
    what a great night for you and the team
    once-in-a-lifetime stuff

love the shots
    why no access to the dugout for you?
    don't you usually have access there?

love the dugout shot, too
    i've been playing around with it a bit
    and can show you... only if you like

3. On the road I have a media pass. At the Whitecaps, the deal they have with scout.com is an occasional media pass. Last night, even if I had requested one, MLB would have had to approve it, and since they focus on minor league prospects, I would not have been able to get one. Besides, as you can see from my angle, I have what I consider the best seat in the house--just up from the on deck circle. Okay, it is the best seat in the house except when the batter on deck gets in my way.

4. glad to hear that, wendy
    i appreciate your reply
    i wish i could sit next to you one night at those games
    it would be cool

5. Wendy, It'll be the same when Big Papi (Ortiz) is down in AA and AAA for the Red Sox. Granted Our clubs, Portland and Pawtucket respectively sell out a majority of games Papi is going to bring an influx and demand for the games. Would love to get some access for those games.

6. I did work on them a bit playing around with the different settings, but I am definitely open to help improving them. I did shoot them in RAW and have played around with them with CS3. Here are what the originals looked like.

2672766062_520932f13d_b.jpg

2672760992_0b5c967e66.jpg

7. here's the small one
    i'll work on the larger one, too

332588375_MEa7x-O.jpg

8. I want to know what you did as well.

9. and the big one
    332606276_v7nvz-O.jpg

10. and..... a bit sharper:

332607214_wqQXa-O.jpg

11. OK WENDY!!

Nice work! It's a blast to shoot a game like that isn't it?
    BTW, when those highlights are blown out they are gone, there's no data there at all, so all you can do is to make the rest look good and just deal with the white space.

BTW, when Maggs is playing in Comerica he does often check out the crowd too, he likes the attention the fans give him so I think he gives back a little by paying attention.
    On Saturday he presented an award to a local HS girl that is sponsored by a foundation provided for by the Ordonez family. He was standing next to the girl and giving out the award with a smile on his face for at least 5 minutes. Cool.

12. Those do look much better. I just did a little more playing around as well. I think one of the problems is the quality of the original photo itself.

2672808550_87ea6a370f_b.jpg

Here is another photo that turned out better because it is a better quality photo to begin with. I just like the other better artistically because it is more natural (boys having fun) rather than this which looks more posed.

2672863170_a7d230474b_b.jpg

13. I wondered how long it would take you to show up, Steve. I know how much I love the Tigers and you have me beat

14. Hey Wendy,
    I don't have you beat at all, look at all the great stuff you get of these future stars and the current ones who need work. What I do is much higher stress for very little more benefit, and your quality is right there all the time! :smile:

15. I was actually referring to your love/passion for the Tigers, but with the quality of your pictures, I take that as a real compliment!! Thanks.

16. speaking of the future of Detroit, sitting to the right of Magglio is a prospect who may be a little old for the league, but is getting a little attention this season with his dominance--Alfredo Figaro.

17. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Wendy, I did some work to them as well. I used Capture NX 2 and played with the levels and such and shapened them a bit...just let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. they look great. I like what you did with especially the top one. Thanks for all your help guys. I know who to turn to for help when I have a picture that I desperately want to keep and have look decent.

19. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    anytime Wendy...I actually like to post process... :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.