Magic Night Garden

A Garden alive with the sight and scents of many thousands of Orchids, clever lighting effects, flittering butterflies, music, and colourful dancers with swirling silken scarves.
This beautiful scene in the New York Botanical Gardens was created in association with the government of Singapore.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Botanical Gardens stayed open on a few nights when entry was only with pre-ordered tickets in strictly controlled numbers and these photographs were shot during one of these evenings.

The paths had been lit with gobo-shaded spotlights and the flickering flames of a giant brazier was there to warm us on a still-chilly Spring evening.

The orchids were displayed in the impressive domed Haupt Conservatories with huge clusters of the plants mounted on islands in the ponds, on the framework of replicas of Singapore’s famed “Super Trees”; or hanging from a tunnel of arches like the ones in Singapore’s National Orchid Garden.

The vibrant swirling colours of Venus Chun’s troupe of dancers garments (accented with mini-LEDs stitched into the fabric, attached to their shoes and even attached to their eyebrows!) was quite magical although the changing colours of the Spotlighting did provide quite a challenge photographically.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
What a beautiful set of images! Thank you for sharing them with us! It would be hard enough to photograph the flowers at night......let alone the dancers! Quite difficult considering the movement and changing lighting. You did a wonderful job!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Ann, you're not surprising me. I know you got the eye for shots like these...
But I always impressed to see pictures you've shot.

Stunning
Klaus

Thank you all for your most generous and encouraging comments. It was a beautiful event and I enjoyed myself hugely.

Today's cameras really are remarkable instruments: this kind of hand-held night-time fast-action colour photography would have been impossible only a few years ago.

As the evening concluded those gorgeous Butterflies all metamorphosed into metallic Avengers!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom