Magic settings for the d50?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by slabwax, Jul 15, 2007.

1. slabwax

slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any magic settings and or tips for the d50. I shoot mostly manual.

Thanks
    Dean

2. I can't feature why anyone would shoot manual; if you will explain that, I will give you some great tips for the D50....

3. I leave

everything on auto - (by that I mean contrast, sharpness, etc). The defaults are very good. However I started shooting RAW months back and honestly after years of being an anti-RAW die-hard JPG shooter I think RAW is the very best choice with this camera (more detail, better micro-contrast, better color, highlight recovery, etc) - to get the best results I recommend either Nikon Capture or Capture NX.

4. i agree with watson. shoot raw for best results.

5. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I have all of the in-camera settings at their defaults and I've been pleased with the results. One thing I do do, though, is that when I'm shooting I genreally have an exposure comp of -2/3 set. It helps, plus it's a lot easier to recover an underexposed photo. I shoot in RAW as well and love it. As for my preferred shooting mode, I'm generally in aperture priority.

6. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I agree with the Daniel's...shoot RAW and use Capture to pull everythint out in post processing. I also shoot underexposed a bit as this camera tends to over-expose a bit from what I noticed.

Good luck!

7. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    My experience has been a little different in that I find most of my pictures are underexposed. I'll have to check what settings I am using once I get home.

8. The D50 does really well out of the camera compared to the other Nikon's I have owned (D70s, D80, D200 and D2X). I currently only own one body and it's a D50.

It's my experience that if you watch the meter and try to expose based on that... the 50 will try to overexpose. I just shoot RAW with everything on default settings and watch the histogram. Usually most of my shots are untouched in post but some get a little levels adjustment and maybe an unsharp mask.

9. slabwax

slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks for all the replies.

I will leave well enough alone. It does seem that a few of you are using Capture nx. Do you like it more than Aperture or are you pc users?

Dean

10. I just use the free editor from Nikon's site and it works great. nikon view...

11. That may be (I had a year and a half of shooting raw and love the versatility) but for sports shooting jpeg this year has had two benefits. These are: 9 frames in the buffer, vs 4-5; and better noise-control at high isos. If I do have to use Neat Image, it needs a much lighter application and therefore looks more natural.

12. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    I'm with the second post'r ... what are you shooting all the time in Manual for? Unless the answer is "Because my subject matter is such that my subjects change luminocity rapidly and I need to lock exposure in for periods of time" .... then I can assure you you are losing a lot of speed and gaining absolutely no control over A or P modes.

13. Abbra-Ka-Dabbra.

14. slabwax

slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    To answer all the questions regarding shooting manual.

I shoot manual 75% of the time. I do it because I find it relaxing. I'm not in a hurry. I also find if I shoot manual I take my time and relax. I'm sure The camera could do a better job on its own. But I have more fun my way. I don't make a living with my camera. So It's all about the fun for me. I know this must sound lame.

Dean

15. Nothing wrong with that Dean. To Each His Own.

Thats what it is all about, having fun.