Magic Trackpad

The one thing I haven't really loved about my new iMac is the mouse. I don't know what my hang up is but I have had problems getting used to it. Often my clicks don't work. I'm not sure if it is me or if the mouse is defective.

I've decided to try a trackpad. I recently found out that we get a pretty nice apple discount through the company that my husband works for, so I've ordered one and it should be here any day.

Wish I would have purchased the computer through the epp discount. We bought it with my daughter's academic discount, but the epp discount would have saved me another $100.

Oh well, live and learn.

I would love tips on the trackpad. Hope I can learn it. I need it to be simple. I tried using Magic Prefs with the mouse to add some new gestures, but it just made it too complicated for me.

I have really never used a mouse. Going way back to my first computer, I never liked a mouse. For me I need a whole desk dedicated to the mouse just to drive it around on. What a pain. And accuracy? For get it. I threw the mouse out in a day, and got a trackball and have never looked back. I used the trackman trackball for years, until I got a new iMac a few months ago. I also bought the Apple trackpad because it's wireless and matches the slick keyboard. It's nice, I haven't used the shinny white mouse that came with the computer at all.

The trackpad takes some getting used to, but you'll ge the hang of it soon. There's also a little booklet that comes with it. On top of that, Apple has a video somewhere on their site demoing it. It has all the gestures like swiping and pintch/zooming.

Truth be told I like the trackball better than the trackpad, but it doesn't look as good next to the keyboard. I am using the trackpad and getting used to it. It's tons better than a mouse. But what isn't?

I love my trackpad! It's interesting that I say this because I have never been particularly fond of them on my various laptops through the years, and only rarely use them, preferring to have a mouse available with the laptop. I decided to try the Magic Trackpad after enjoying the tactile sensation of it at the Apple store one day....and I love it! I actually use both the mouse and the trackpad, with the mouse on the keyboard tray next to the keyboard and the trackpad on the worktop surface. Most of the time I use the trackpad, enjoying being able to gently swipe and tap my way around, but I find that I still prefer the mouse when I need to highlight, copy-and-paste something.

I've used all of Apple's mice -- I bought my first iMac when they were still issuing the crystal clear 1-button mouse with it, and that lasted me all of a day. I pulled out my old MS mouse and used that until Apple finally released its first mouse that had two buttons and more..... Snapped one of those up the minute it was available and then pounced on the wireless version when it came on the market. When the Magic Mouse arrived on the scene I bought one and immediately loved it, too. I've never used a trackball, have always been a "mouser."

Enjoy your new Magic Trackpad, Terri!

I hardly ever use the mouse on my iMac, I prefer the magic trackpad for everyday use, it works great.

I use the magic trackpad on my Imac and love it! My hand motions are greatly reduced.

I have always had a trackball until i came to mac and got a magic mouse. I love it however, I have tried and do want to get a trackpad for doing alot of other activities, much like connie said ill keep em both on there but they each have their purpose in my mind.

I received a trackpad last week and am liking it more each day. Works great next to the wireless aluminum keyboard. I use it in tandem with a Wacom Intuos tablet. There's a diagram on the back of the trackpad box showing how to perform 12 gestures. Pretty straightforward.

I received a trackpad last week and am liking it more each day. Works great next to the wireless aluminum keyboard. I use it in tandem with a Wacom Intuos tablet. There's a diagram on the back of the trackpad box showing how to perform 12 gestures. Pretty straightforward.
I have a wacom intuos 4 tablet as well. I'm glad to hear you like how they work together. If I can use and remember 12 gestures that will be plenty for me!! Thanks for the input. I'm glad you like it. Do you use your intuos for more than photo editing?

Yes, mostly I use the tablet for photo editing. If I need to scroll more precisely, etc., I can see where I might use the mouse that came with the tablet - or the pen itself. It looks like I'll have all my bases covered with this setup. Enjoy the trackpad.

We really like our trackpad and I had never been fond of them on laptops that we had. Bought it a few weeks after the new Imac. The wireless mouse that came with the Imac is now on my old Imac, replaced the original wired mouse. Now I'm thinking of getting a second trackpad for the old Imac as well. I am sure you will like it.

My trackpad has been on the fritz lately. Apple said because if there are other bluetooth devices in the same room (keyboard, cell phone etc..) the trackpad wont connect. Its annoying lately

The trackpad should become a lot handier when the iOS-inspired Lion is released this summer.

Got my trackpad yesterday. I already love it. I put the mouse away. I have the wacom tablet for anything precise that I need to do. The figures on the back of the box have helped me learned all the different gestures. I'll keep the box on my desk for a few days as a reference until everything becomes habit.

I'm a happy camper. Thanks all for your input.

Enjoy it Terri! I've 100% switched now to my trackpad and haven't looked back. My wrist is no longer sore and I love being able to pinch zoom and two finger scroll without moving my hand. I actually find it much more accurate in operation than the magic mouse and the acceleration curve feels a lot more normal compared to the slow magic mouse. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it but it's a keeper a now.

I've only found a couple of minor downsides. 1, it's a battery hog so stock up. 2, if you have any moisture on your finger tips it sticks to the trackpad so you really have to make sure your finger tips are dry. Tip: don't be eating a pickle while trying to use your trackpad... :tongue:

Cheers!

Enjoy it Terri! I've 100% switched now to my trackpad and haven't looked back. My wrist is no longer sore and I love being able to pinch zoom and two finger scroll without moving my hand. I actually find it much more accurate in operation than the magic mouse and the acceleration curve feels a lot more normal compared to the slow magic mouse. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it but it's a keeper a now.

I've only found a couple of minor downsides. 1, it's a battery hog so stock up. 2, if you have any moisture on your finger tips it sticks to the trackpad so you really have to make sure your finger tips are dry. Tip: don't be eating a pickle while trying to use your trackpad... :tongue:

Cheers!
I discovered the problem with damp fingers.....but I wasn't eating pickles.:eek::biggrin:

I bought a huge pack of batteries at Sam's club for all our remotes and stuff, so I'm good to go there. I guess I should remember to turn it off when not using it.

Ah, but wait! Apple has an answer for that! The cute little rechargeable battery charger with six batteries.... Saves the consumer from having to run out and buy regular batteries all the time!

Available at the Apple store right NOW!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Connie, you are obsessed. Good thing I don't have an Apple Store close to me..... I might become obsessed, too!!

Have fun with your new iPad 2. I knew you would get one..... Are you going to get a new Macbook Pro, too?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom