Magnifying eyepiece for D2X?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by sclamb, May 7, 2007.

1. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    I am finding it a bit hit and miss getting accurate manaul focus with my camera. I wear glasses for seeing distance, and I have adjusted the diopter on the camera so that what I see is clear in the viewfinder. However, quite often when I think I have something in focus it end up being just a bit out of focus. AF works fine, but I want to be able to selectively focus when required.

What is the magnifying eyepiece that I need for the D2X? Would this help, and do you still see the full frame in the viewfinder? Does the diopter adjuster still function with the magnifying eyepiece fitted?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Numael

Numael

May 16, 2006
    Destin, FL
    You will need the DK-17M (I also added the DK-19 for comfort). The diopter can be adjusted. I see all the information in the VF w/o a problem but some people swear that you loose a little bit of the information on the right side, not my case!!

Cheers

3. I have the DK-17 and also a Katz-Eye focusing screen and it really does help a lot, especially when doing macro work. The diopter adjustment still works just fine. I hadn't thought about the DK-19....I should look into that, as it would make things easier with my glasses.

4. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks Numael & Connie. DK-17M & DK-19 to be ordered :smile:

EDIT: Having just looked, what is the difference between the DK-17M (which you suggested Numael) and the DK-17 that you use Connie?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  5. A typo on my part! I should have said DK-17M..... that "M" is crucial, as that is for the magnification.... I think the DK-17 itself is a replacement for the original piece. They are two different pieces, the DK-17 and DK-17M.

6. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Another option...

...Simon, I had the same issues.

I use DK-17M for most stuff where I have the D2x raised to my eye or on a monopod for sports pics etc.

However, the real breakthrough (for me) was buying a DR-5 right angle finder which has a 1x and 2x magnifier....great for manual focus.

In addition to which it means I can use the cam like a medium format with a waist level finder..I take quite a lot of pics of kids and need the camera to be low to the ground without me lying on the floor...the DR-5 is brilliant for that or for macro where you need precise selective focus.

And I should also say that cupping the camera in my hands with a right-angle finder (rather than holding it up to my eye with the normal stance) allows me to hand-hold the D2x with much lower shutter speeds than I could normally do without introducing a tad of shake into that tightly packed D2x sensor.

7. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks Peter, I will look into the DR-5 too. I do find squatting to take pictures of the children gets tiring at times, so being able to compose as I did with my old Hasselblad would be great.

8. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Thanks for the clarification Connie :smile: