Maine Trip (**pics**)

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by vulturetec, Jun 19, 2007.

1. My girlfriend and I just got back from a few days in Maine. We drove from NYC with a detour to Cape Cod along the way.

For larger versions of many of these images, see my smugmug page.

Our Maine coast sight-seeing tour started with clouds and rain in Rockland, on US-1 east of Brunswick. Still, it was our first stop so we got out for a few minutes to look around and take a few snapshots:

Rockland, ME
    [​IMG]

Then just 20 minutes further a quick stop to stretch our legs in Lincolnville, where you can take a ferry to Islesboro, 3 miles away in the Penobscot Bay...of course there are always plenty of Lobster, seafood, and ice cream places along to way too.

Lincolnville, ME
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another 20 minutes along US-1 brought us to Belfast with some interesting buildings, art galleries, restaurants, and the oldest shoe store in the country :Crunk:.

Belfast, ME
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...continued...

2. Ten miles after Belfast I noticed a sign inviting tourists to see a 'town and lighthouse', so we scrambled to get off US-1 and explored some of the back roads trying to find it. Eventually we found Fort Point State Park, located on Penobscot Bay just a few miles south-east of Stockton Springs, Maine. The park has a $2 entrance fee (you slide $2 into a collection box at the entrance, strictly an honor-system thing) and offers picnic areas with grills, Fort Point itself, 'Fort Point Lighthouse', and a long stretch of rocky beach. The weather was improving, so we went exploring.

Fort Point, built by the British in 1759
    [​IMG]

Fort Point Lighthouse, built in 1857
    [​IMG]

Fort Point Lighthouse's "fog bell", forerunner to the modern fog-horn - built in 1890
    [​IMG]

Part of the beach, rocks, and seaweed
    [​IMG]

...continued...

3. Just north of Stockton Springs US-1 crosses the Penobscot River to Verona, then Bucksport. The new Penobscot Narrows Bridge opened in May to replace an older steel suspension bridge. The new bridge offers an observation tower on the west side (seen here):

[​IMG]

...continued...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  4. Finally, after another 40 miles of driving through picturesque landscape and a few nice small towns we arrived at Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor is full of gift shops, restaurants, inns, ice cream shops, and thrives on tourism to the town and nearby Acadia National Park. The town has lots of affordable inns "in town", for the most part the going rates go up as you get closer to the pier. There are a couple of higher-end resort hotels on the water, and several lower-priced motels out of town. We stayed on Cottage Street with a comfortable 12 minute walk to the restaurants and park.

Cottage St, approaching Main St in Bar Harbor
    [​IMG]

Cottage St shops
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Turning left onto Main Street toward more shops, the park, and waterfront
    [​IMG]

Water Fountain in the park, overlooking the pier
    p154829294-3.

In front of one of the many ice cream shops
    [​IMG]

view from the pier
    [​IMG]

"Moose Tracks", one of the shops. Hint: Many of the shops sell the same 'tourist-oriented' items. Most of the prices are the same, but there are a few differences. One shop was selling stickers for $2.98 while the same was available across the street for $1.50. Most places carry the same Bar Harbor badged clothing, if one shop doesn't have the color or size you want just look around for it somewhere else.
    [​IMG]

We ate at several places, but I think our favorite was "Geddy's" on Main Street. Friendly fast service and good food, with a laid back atmosphere. Just look for the Moose on the roof!
    Geddy's
    View attachment 101578

[​IMG]

View attachment 101579

...and don't forget the gift shop under the restauarant, right under the license plates
    [​IMG]

A trip back to Cottage Street and you'll find the town movie "palace". Opened in 1932, it's a classic working theater.
    [​IMG]

We were strolling around after dinner one evening and happened to get to the pier around sunset. There was quite a crowd around the park and pier, we thought maybe there was something going on in town - but it turns out a lot of people go to the waterfront area just for sunset.

Sunset at Bar Harbor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...continued...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  5. One of my main reasons to go to Bar Harbor was Acadia National Park. The weather wasn't the best, and it was fairly chilly with a strong wind, next time I'll spend more time.

Views along Park Loop Road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Acadia Coastline
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Views of Little Hunters Beach
    [​IMG]

p494167670-3.

[​IMG]

Bubble Pond
    [​IMG]

View from the top of a very windy and cool Cadillac Mountain
    [​IMG]

Close-up of Bar Harbor from Cadillac Mountain
    [​IMG]

6. I am really enjoying these! A great trip for sure.

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    WOW!!

Sweet images!!

9, 1, 2 are my favorite on your post dated 3:53PM today. These are tack sharp, saturation is perfect - you nailed the series!!

This is a "must visit" place!

8. Thanks John!

I forgot to mention, I used my D200, Nikkor 18-70, Nikkor 300 f/4, and Tokina 12-24. I really needed a tripod for the national park (it was dark), but when I needed to I managed to prop the camera up on rocks and used the strap to level it, otherwise I relied on ISO. The Deer picture was way back in the woods and that was the only sharp one in about 10 - handheld 300mm f/4@1/180sec.

9. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

Wow! What AMAZING shots!!!!!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wonderful trip and images

11. Nearly everything was shot "raw" so I guess PP is open to interpretation. I was impressed with the auto WB of the D200 though, I didn't have to do too much in the way of color balancing. The deer picture was by far the worst of the bunch, shot at ISO1600 in the dark woods it really had a lot of color contamination from the trees, I had to fiddle quite a bit. Some of the Acadia images are processed as HDR images, it made a world of difference.

I also straighten the lines on buildings when I can. A carryover from tinkering with view cameras I guess.

12. GlenF

GlenF Guest

vulturetec I'm glad you liked my part of the world. Acadia National Park has been one of my all time favorite places in the world and I will be visiting again in 3 weeks. I hope you had a chance to hear some good ol downeast accents in you travels. The fishermen and lobstermen can make you cock you head like a dog trying do decypher what they are saying.

13. Lots of nice shots there. Looks like a fun trip.

14. So, did you try any lobster (lobstah) ice cream? Or any popovers in the Park?

Great shots....I've stayed at that Bar Harbor Inn and it was nice; a friend now owns/runs the Bass Harbor Cottage B&B and loves it up there.

15. No - she got into blueberry icecream. We had lobster every day though, even at the Cape.

Sitting here with the humidity and 90°+ yesterday, their 60s-70s temp looked mighty inviting.

16. mdupont

mdupont

Jun 12, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Scott, great pictures. Im taking the family to Bar Harbor the last week of July. Hoping to upgrade my D70 to the D200 in a couple weeks and Ill be set.

Mike

17. Thanks for the great pictures. Last time I was there was in 1998. Humm, maybe it's time for another visit...

18. Spectacular series!!! We haven't been up there since '01 and I do miss going. Perhaps this Fall we'll make it back up. Your pictures bring back lots of great memories. :smile:

Next time you're up there, check out some the ladder trails, if you like a good hike!

19. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Scott, thanks for the great pictures. I'll be in Portland the end of August and I hope I come back with some pictures as good as yours.