1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Major Mac Problem... SOLVED!!!... UH OH NOT SOLVED YET

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Donzo98, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    FURTHER UPDATED: On further review.... it turns out the problem is not totally gone!! After removing the NON Apple RAM the computer ran great for a week or so and then froze in exactly the same way as before. This happened a couple of more times.

The latest thought is that it might be related to the video card because before the freeze I get a "remnant" when moving from page to page on the internet. It is sort of hard to explain, but I get a 2 X 2 inch or so box left over from the previous web page. It carries over the next page for a few seconds and then eventually goes away. Soon after I get the freeze. Maybe the screen is not refreshing properly. :confused: 

I then updated the driver for my current Video Card (ATI X1900)... and that didn't help. I then ran Disk Warrior and did a rebuild on my directory. I have not had a freeze in a few days... but I am still not convinced that it is fixed, I called the Video Card seller and got an RMA, but have not returned the card yet. I also bought an original OEM Nvidia Geforce 6600 Video Card (the card that came in the G5) just in case I decided to return the other card. Man... tis is killing me. It is an intermittent problem... but the next stop will be a trip to the Apple store and a drop off of the computer!!

UPDATED: Well... the problem is now solved!! After days of working on it and many hard restarts my computer is working perfectly again.

Problem was... defective RAM. I bought some third party RAM 9 months ago... worked fine until about a month ago or so. I removed all the non Apple RAM and voila... HAPPINESS!!! I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. A special thanks to David (Peter Parker). All is well again with the world... :biggrin::biggrin:

Hey Guys...

Really hope you can help out here. I am really frustrated!! :mad: :mad:  My computer has been freezing every day lately. I have called Apple Care twice and no help to this point.

Here is what happens...
    I am on the net... (using either Firefox or Safari) does not seem to matter. All of a suuden when I either scroll or click on soemthing the computer gives me the spinning beach ball. The mouse cursor still moves, but I can not click on anything, the clock stops, I can not do anything... no keyboard function... just ZIPPO. The only thing that will get me going again is a hard restart. This has been happening a few times a day for over a week. It is driving me crazy. It is not predictable at all, so when I am on the phone with Apple care of course it doesnt happen.

They had me run disk utility from the DVD. Some BS with Safari preferences. Last night I disconnected my USB and all my peripherals other than the Airport Extreme. I also repaired disk permissions. This was not a problem until a few weeks ago.

I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me.

System info...

Power Mac G5... Dual 2.3 GHZ
    8gb RAM

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  2. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    One other thing...

Someone told me that the problem must be hardware if the clock stops as well. I checked the memory in "About this Mac"... all check out OK now. Is that true? What is my next step??

Right now...
    30 inch ACD, Mouse, Keyboard, Airport and UPS are the only things connected.

3. Have you booted from the install 1 disk and repaired the disk...not the permissions but running the disk repair button (lower right in disk utility)? I recently did this and it found some minor drive header issues.

Thanks, Rich

4. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Yup... did that last night as well. All checked out fine. :confused:  When I ran it the first time (with the Apple Care Tech) a few things popped up and they were repaired. Now everything says OK.

5. Hmmmm. Outside of a shutdown and restart (which I assume was one of the first things you tried) I think it's time for Apple to start earning their keep.

Very sorry, Rich

6. Several things to try. Repair permissions, clear cache in browsers, learn the keyboard shortcuts to Force Quit so you can see what program is stalling. Also the shortcuts to shut down so you do not have to hard restart. Should work if you have a wired keyboard. Do some searching at macosg.com to see if anyone else has had the problem and found a solution.

7. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    When's the last time you popped open the case and went to town with a can of that dust off stuff? I've had PC lock-up problems before that were solved after blowing all of the significant dust accumulation out of the case. All of that stuff in there decreases cooling efficiency and can cause problems like that when stuff gets hot.

8. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Don, did Apple support take a look at your system and console logs to try and get an idea of what was going on?

9. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    delete the firefox and safari plist files in home lib preferences with both closed then relaunch them
    Is this only happening when on the web?
    If so try deleting the plist files above

10. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I did all those things. The keyboard shortcut does not work either... the keyboard is also frozen. I can not force quit in any way. Only a hard restart will get me up and running.

11. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I will try that today.

12. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Nope... not yet... but I did send them to another Mac programmer (who knows about a billion times more than I do)... and he says the console logs do not show anything. :confused: :confused: 

What the hell do I do???? :confused: :confused: :confused: 

13. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
  14. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I take it you have this MAC and running for a while already. Computer freeze for millions of reasons. My experience usually start with the hardware first. Have you add any hardware lately?? I would pull out all the USB devices and leave only keyboard and mouse attach to the MAC. See if it run more stable. Did you bought the MAC with 8 gb RAM originally? If not, pull out all the new chips and leave the original memory on the machine. Start it up again to see if it run smooth.
    If all that check out, reinstall all the memory then go get another harddrive to replace the boot up drive that is in your MAC now. Install just the OS and see it will run properly. If that runs fine, then you can start troubleshoot your original harddrive.

15. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Is Disk Warrior worth it?? Sounds like that is not the problem though.

No hardware was recently installed...

Question on the memory.... if it is showing OK in the "about this mac"... does that actually mean it is OK?? Could that still be the issue??

16. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    It could definitely still be the issue. Even if it passes Apple's hardware test.

17. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    That's only an OK status. What it really means is the OS recognize the memory chip existance. It does not mean the memories (hardware) is okay.

I once installed addition memory to my MAC at work. It did stated OK in the "about this MAC". Then it took less than 5 minutes to freeze the system. I took the new memory out, then the machine ran fine. I install those "bad" memory to a different MAC. Again, it freeze that system too. Took it back out and sent for a replacement. Reinstall the replacement and everything works fine.

18. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Is there any chance that the repair permissions I did last night will work... I repaired them from the Install DVD and there were a few things that it fixed. I'm just really hoping it will work without having to go under the hood.... :smile::smile:

I didn't freeze in the hour or two that I used it before work... but that doesnt mean a whole lot.

19. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Seriously doubt it :-(

20. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Me too... so next step is?? Remove the memory? Blow out the dust inside the case?? What order do I do things in?? Apple Care again??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.