Make a $100 super bright cop Flashlight for less than $10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anthony747, Aug 12, 2008.

1. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    That is super cool. But Krypton bulbs drain batteries pretty quickly.

2. Those (3) batteries cost more than $10. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good video, thou.

3. Did you check out the 12 volt battery hack? Amazing what's inside.

4. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    If you're more interested in the flashlight than the fun in doing the conversion, you might want to check these out for $28 a pair: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=381032&pCatg=4427 These aren't regulated, but they have a nice bright white light from the luxeon bulb and run for a fairly lengthy period. I have 4 of the prior version and am quite satisfied.

5. Don't mess around with 3V lithium batteries unless you know exactly what you are doing. They can explode, I have seen pictures of them going through people's cabinets. Best to use them in flashlights that were designed for them.

That being said, my duty light is a Surefire Z2 and Surefire M6. Z2 on the belt, and the M6 when dealing with a group of fine upstanding contributors to society. Nothing says "burn my retinas and screw up my night vision" like a Surefire M6!!!! :biggrin:

6. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I'll stick with a Surefire light. Have had a G2 for the longest time and love it.

Do want to pick up one of their new LED lights though.

7. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Surefire M6! :wink:
    Now you're getting into the decent lens price range.:biggrin:

I have an old Fenix single AA Luxeon on my keychain.
    Nice and bright white light, lasts about 1.5 hours regulated.
    I like that it uses a common AA batt.
    Very sturdy as it's been dropped on pavement more times than I have fingers.

8. The key copy trick is slick. Too bad they don't have a cell phone jammer hack. I get weary of "type A's" impressing (and annoying) everyone in hearing range with their own importance in offices and in lines or lost in conversation after the traffic light turns green.

9. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I'm right behind you, Rich! Cell phone abuse really gets to me. I had the plans for a cell phone jammer that a friend and I were going to build/trade back and forth for fun. Until.... I read that they can mess with pacemakers. I was so disappointed.:frown: The thought of sitting behind someone at a green light while they are chatting away and pushing the button.:D evil: Oh well, I just dream of it now...

10. I saw an all-time winner this morning. Everyone has a story about someone phoning while trying to drive ( the Alpha types call it "multitasking."). Today I was waiting for spacing to start after our light turned green and through the intersection (yes, against the light) comes this "person" on a road bike, all decked out in his spandex "Le Tour" outfit getup chatting on his mobile phone not even looking to the right or left. Since the cars were moving quickly as he reached the median he had to stop....or die.

Of course if he did it would have been a classic example of natural selection.

11. Haha, I got it before I got into photography...would not get it now :wink:

12. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

Another URBAN LEGEND that Is just that.
    MICROWAVES DO NOT EFFECT PACEMEKERS IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY.ZERO.NADA.NEVER HAVE,NEVER NEVER WILL!!!!!Dont ask me why cafe's and coin op eaterys have microwave warnings on them.Its the old, I here it so its a fact!It isnt.

13. It's not an urban legend. Now, that doesn't mean it's still an issue. Pacemakers used nowadays (installed in the last 15 or 20 years) are insulated enough that they are not affected by microwave energy. Older models were not as insulated, and were more prone to interference from microwave energy, thus the reason you still see warning signs.

14. Same as 2 way radios and cell phones in Hospitals. I was in Florida 2 yrs ago, my brother was in ICU for a week and yet you can use a cell phone any where in the hospital, emerg, ICU where ever. Cell phones are not allowed to be used anywhere in the Hospitals here in Canada yet I am sure the same type, kind, brand of medical equipment is used here too. Now last April when I was being wheeled into the operating room a nurse was on her cell phone in the O.R. talking to her daughter. And other "Staff" using their cell phones too. But then there are still people out there who pump the gas pedal before starting the car too.

15. This is due to the telemetry units used in hospitals. These units transmit cardiac rhythms, vital signs, and other patient information wirelessly to a central location, be it a telemetry monitoring unit in some smaller hospitals, or to the nurses' station in others. Newer units are digital, and are more dedicated in the frequency they use, so they're not affected. Thus the reason some hospitals allow cell phones pretty much anywhere you can pick up a signal. Other hospitals with older analogue telemetry units have these signs in place because there is no way they can be sure your particular cellular carrier doesn't use a similar frequency that would interfere with the units. In these hospitals, the nurses may still carry cellular type phones, but they're more like closed circuit TV.... in other words, they're only operable inside the hospital, and are therefore tested to be compatible with the telemetry units. Now, all this being said, has there really been any serious deleterious effects from cell phone use inside a hospital? Hard to say. It's more than likely a "hey, it could be a problem, and we can't afford to be liable if it is, so let's put up the signs." situation. Again, now that pretty much all cell phones are completely digital, this is very likely a non-issue, so any signs you may see are probably just left over from the days when it could have been an issue. They just haven't taken them down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.