Makin' Movies

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by PhilY, Jul 9, 2007.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Interesting Phil. What kind of movie are they making? And where is the location?

2. You know, Rex -- I don't know all the details of the movie. Might be a good idea if I find out, huh. :biggrin:

They are shooting at various locations around town and will be for a few weeks. The next location they want me to shoot is at an old house here in town in a couple of days. The shoot pictured here was out on County Line Road off Hwy 6 East of town. This was for the opening scenes.

Phil

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cool shots
    Looks foward to the follow ups:>)))

4. When I was at Vandenberg AFB back in the 80's, we hosted a Hollywood crew to film a sequence for the old "Six Million Dollar Man" series. A double (no stars came our way) ran around one of the old launch gantries. I think it was about 5-10 seconds on screen, but took the 8-10 person crew a full day to shoot. And that was film camera/imaging only ... no sound crew was present!!

For folks schooled in getting things done with at least a modest level of military "precision" it was a lot like watching grass grow!!

These are nice shots ... would be an interesting job. Look forward to more.

Cheers!!

Ken

5. Thanks, Gale. I don't know how many days and/or locations I will be shooting but will be sure to post a few outtakes here.

Phil

6. The experience you relate holds true today, Ken. I was on location maybe 4 hours and left before they finished and what they planned to put "in the can" from the shoot was about a minute -- and like you said, no sound. That was to be added later. There were probably 15-18 people out there involved, not including the actors. The whole process was very interesting at first but as time went on and the temp lifted to the mid 90's, things got a little boring.

Phil

7. Cool opportunity and pics, Phil. I've worked on location for 2 movies; the first film's crew took 7 weeks to construct the set at the location where I was at, but the scene only made up about 10 seconds of the final cut. That's action/adventure for you.

Sean

8. Thanks for your reply, Sean. You are correct about it being a cool opportunity. I shot a few pics for an individual and that led to a show at a local art gallery and that led to shooting a film festival and that led to shooting this movie and there is another in the works, etc, etc. One thing is leading to another. I knew there was a good amount of time involved putting a small amount on film but I didn't realize just how much time is involved.

Phil