Featured Making a splash

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by RKnecht, Jul 13, 2017.

1. After seeing a lot of photos online using the Nikon 200-500 VR, I couldn't take it anymore and decided to buy one. My intentions were to use it in the kayak here in Maine for the next 2 weeks, but the lake has not been too cooperative. So I decided the next best thing was to get a couple balls and takes the dogs to the lake in hopes of actually using the 200-500 to grab some action. All I can say is that Nikon has pulled a rabbit out of their hat with this lens. I am super impressed by its sharpness and focus speed. Here are just a few with the lens mounted to the D5.

Dare
    RD5_5826FB.

Once again, Dare
    RD5_5755FB.

Snap! our 10 month old pup
    RD5_5715FB.

Really looking forward to mounting this lens on the 810 and heading out in the kayak for some loon and (hopefully) eagle pictures. C&C welcomed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Impressive results on these action shots, did you take any at 500mm?
    I've been thinking about this lens for my D500 but still undecided.

3. Wow, Snap has grown into a handsome dog!!

4. Nice shots! I love my D500/200-500 combo. Jeff

5. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Very nice shots, great intensity in that dog.

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Delightful shots! Love the action you've captured. Do you find zooming that large ring a problem?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Impressive to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nice set

I finally ordered one last week and so far I'm I'm impressed

9. These kinds of shots really make me want one of these. Is it easy to hand hold on a D500? The price seems so reasonable for this optical quality.

10. Thanks folks. This lens is super easy to use hand held. The VR is fantastic, and even wide open, the lens is sharp. I don't find the zoom hard to use, but then again, I don't have small hands. My only regret is that I didn't buy one LONG ago. Really looking forward to giving it a workout with the 810. I took a trip in the kayak today and found some loons. I posted a few in the birds section.

11. Like a fat 80-400
    Very well balanced, smooth zoom ring
    So far IQ is better than it needs to be
    I have only used Group AF and that's so fast it's hard to know how fast the lens is

12. What Randy said, only, IMO, it's better than the 80-400 AF-S lens. I bought one and sent it back because I was underwhelmed by it. The 200-500 is going nowhere. It's just that good.

13. That's been my experience also: it seems to be a perfect match for the D500, at an eviable price point. I sold my (new version) 80-400 in order to acquire it and I have absolutely zero regrets about that exchange.

14. Yes, Mitch, although it is longer and a bit heavier, but easily hand-holdable: in your hands, it would be an amazing addition.

15. If you like the 200-500, you might want to check out the Tammy 150-600 G2 for the extra 100mm. IQ is virtually the same. Handling is also the same. I own both. For $1300, what the heck.

16. Imo there is too much of a turn to get to 500 to make this a zoom on the fly lens like the 80-400 is but it's a minor point considering everything else, and for the record I'm not convinced yet it's better than the 80-400 but at this level of IQ it's a wash

17. I considered it but after the beating I took on reselling the big sig I decided against any more non Nikon and I'm fine with 500mm

18. I originally looked at this lens, but because of my small hands I thought the 80-400mm was a better fit (pun intended!). I have to say though, these pics are as good as they get! Your dog is a beauty, Rich.

19. Gorgeous photo's of your pooch. I agree with all the great comments on your photo's..

20. Beautiful Dobe! And wonderful water shots. Always great to get a new lens that meets expectations!