1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Making an HDR image

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Scottn_photo, Sep 5, 2008.

1. could anyone tell me how to make an HDR image? or point me to a tutorial?:confused: 

thanks for the help

2. I am sure you have heard of "The Google" by now, right? So open it and type "hdr photo" (no quotes necessary)... and peruse the links returned. :rolleyes: :wink:

There is plenty of useful information out there. The 2 most common pieces of software for HDR processing are Photomatix and Photoshop (I think in that order).

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    While i can appreciate the reminder of google, I myself am also looking for this information, alot of the how toos are cold and have no user vehind them. Sometiems if a user can simply post a quick how to at least we have someone we can ask questions to as to how to best go about it and have people to get reviews from. I would like to know how to make one but im having trouble with some of the How toos, maybee someone could post one that they found helpfull??

4. Take at least 3 pictures at different exposures, usually -1 0 and 1. Then put them into an HDR merging program. You can also substitute 3 different pictures for one RAW pictures and export various JPEGs at different EV values, though the latter tends to lose some detail that the former doesn't in the end picture.

5. That's it in a nutshell. I would add, in case it isn't obvious, that the use of a tripod is almost mandatory (to make sure that all 3 images align perfectly). Why not just try the technique by shooting 3 images at 3 different exposures, download the Photomatix trial from http://www.hdrsoft.com/, and play with it?

Afterwards, if you have specific questions about Photomatix, just start a new thread.

6. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    A lot of people here have been playing around with HDR shots. I think most people like photomatix the best. At the top of the page there's a search feature, type in 'photomatix' and you'll find a bunch of threads on HDR and the program as well. Make sure to post some pictures of what you come up with.

7. I just did that: here is the Google query in question: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hdr+photo&btnG=Google+Search. There are at least 4-5 links in there that are directly relevant, including how-tos. Included in the first page of results is also the link to Photomatix (hdrsoft.com).

I bet you took my comment as superficial and never even tried the Google query that I suggested... Why did I bother answering then? :confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.