Making Money off my Images

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AFS, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Hello all.
    Considering the probable imminent announcement of a D200, the ever-increasing resolution of digital cameras, and my personal 'need for speed' (f/2.8 or faster), I've started to give some thought to making money off of my photos.
    I've only had one paid job, that was a bat mitzvah reception. It went very well and the photos came out very well. I did it mainly because i was their friend, and I wanted a bit of pocket cash....I got $100 for the job...shooting and editing. I wasn't going to accept anything more, as I'd never had such a high priority job prior to that and I didn't want to disappoint them for their money's worth.
    I don't have any other events lined up in the near future, but my family keeps telling me that they love some of the photos i'm taking now.
    So, I'm wondering if there are other ways for me to make money off my images. Are there any online agencies I could try and sell to or through? What other options do I have?
    Most of my pictures are to be honest not that good. I get an occasional nice one but I don't have a very high opinion of my own abilities. I wouldn't get many to move in the first place, but does anyone here know of anything that might work?
    Thanks for your help. IF THIS IS TOTALLY FOOLISH TO CONSIDER please TELL ME!.....I'm still very much on vicodin every 4 hours, and my face is swollen. My brain isn't functioning perfectly right now.
    HD

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not foolish at all Harrison. While most photographers don't get rich from their work, some do. You already have made $100 more than most of us. :wink:

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

What more could one ask for than to do what one enjoys and make a living at it.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You might consider putting an advertisement in a local newspaper offering your services taking pictures for small events such as birthdays, graduations, baptisms, etc.

Not sure if sports photography interests you , but you might consider contacting a local newspaper and inquiring if they might purchase sports images from local school or park district sporting events...you may find parents interested in buying some as well.

If street photography is something that interests you, buy a portable police/fire scanner and shoot images at fires, crashes, etc. and sell them to the newspaper. The newspaper photogs can't be everywhere!

You might consider doing macro shooting of flowers, print your better images, matte them and set up a booth at local craft shows, sidewalk sales, etc. Some of those types of images sell rather well.

Contact local real estate offices and ask if you can shoot their new listing images...someone has to do it!

Just a few examples off my rapidly aging head.....

5. Well, those are very good ideas.
    I'm not that mobile. Although I should by all means be driving about with my restricted license, I haven't been bothered enough to get my learner's permit..... oops.
    The small events thing could be a good idea, I just need to have time to do it.
    Sports photography definitely interests me. I intend to be doing a lot of that for the school, but that is in my capacity as a student. As a private school, I don't know if papers would accept the photos or use them, despite our excellent athletic program. I can't sell them to the school.... I don't think I want to, I'd rather they be there.
    Parents though, could be a possibility. I'll inquire with the administration and athletics dept. about that.
    Macro shooting, I don't have a macro lens and I'm not going to buy a canon 500d (see my signature), but a nikon or other brand close up filter etc. could be a possibility. I don't have the $$$ for a macro lens of my own....
    Having said that I think i'm taking some decent nature/flower/plant shots...... My family loves them and my grandmother loves the colors :)
    One thing I thought about was instead of a booth, maybe putting some prints, say 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10 of some of my photos, in binders or frames, and selling them for a bit of money at my parents' offices. Put the samples in the waiting room and have them available to the patients and clients for a small fee... My mother also brought up making them into greeting cards, blank on the inside for a personal message.
    Anyone know of smewhere I could get those made?

I'd love for my photography to be partly self sustaining. I depend on my birthday/holiday money for my hobbies right now. Everything I own having to do with Nikon is directly funded from the last year's worth of major events. I don't get an allowance, and I don't have any other real source of income. I don't get any bonuses for achievements or 'A' grades.....this is probably because I don't get many A's :( I should, but sometimes I just can't make it. I'll try harder next year....I'm thinking of squeezing for cash because of my standardized test scores. Let's just say I excel beyond 99% of everyone in every category, and I'm ahead of just about everyone in the school in that area.
    How much do you think a D200 will cost? $2K?
    Maybe 600, 700 tops for my D70, $75 for my 2x teleconverter, $??? for my CP5700 and accessories.... I have a lot to earn!