Making the switch to a D80

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by exposinglife, Apr 17, 2007.

1. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    So I'm moving from a D50 to a D80 and was wondering if anyone had any tips or helpful hints when making the transition. Was there any big difference in handling or use of the D80? Any certain likes or dislikes that you experienced?

I'm just trying to make my transition a bit smoother and hope to get some good advice from some others that did the same. I know of the extra features in the D80 (wireless flash, different ISO range, etc)...I'm also looking for the little things as well.

Thanks!

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I came from a D50 and the D80 is the prefect camera. similar size but better feel IMO. and the extra features are great! the only complaint I have is that they moved the delete button and replaced it with a useless button. and man! the viewfinder is GREAT!

3. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    Thanks for the reply. Just looking at some of the pictures and layout of the D80, I think it should be pretty smooth.

I am definitely looking forward to the new viewfinder. The bigger LCD is going to be a treat as well. Sometimes it was a struggle to see just how sharp some pictures were turning out...even zooming in on the D50.

How do you delete pictures quickly now? I can do it blindfolded on the D50.

Thanks again!

4. zzhangz

zzhangz Guest

I have D50 and use D80 several time. The aperture wheel is very convenience, larger screen and better white balance. But I still keep my D50

5. I previously owned a D50 and switched to a D80. I'm glad I made the switch.

6. Hi Dave…

Seeing that you know the differences between the D50 & D80, I’ll just say that (well for me anyway), when you first start to use the D80, it’s not as forgiving as the D50 is. Your out of camera shots could at first disappoint you and you will wonder why you spent the money to upgrade. But don’t worry too much as you will find the settings that will give you results you want, and you will get to love this camera, I did… And now I wouldn't have any second thoughts about recommending the D80 to anyone.

The D80 is also more susceptible to fine tuning changes (Tone Compensation, custom curves, sharpness, color mode etc), but when you have got a feel for how these effect your final image, the photos will come out of the camera and jump at you….

BTW, I kept my D50 as a back up camera as they are just too good to get rid of, and are starting to get hard to replace.

C.Ya.....

7. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    Well, I finally have a few shots out here to look at. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the D80. It gives me a lot more options, but not too much. I can't even really think of a negative just yet. It's faster, more flexible with ISO, not too heavy, and has a lovely LCD...the apeture wheel is sweet as well.

I still have some more shooting to do, but I'm glad I made the switch. I can't wait to put a 70-300 VR on this puppy. I just have to save up a few (thousand) pennies to do so. :smile:

Let me know what you think of the shots.

8. jaime4i

jaime4i Guest

im a D50 user before and i switch to D80, you can use a vertical grip specially if you have a big hands plus a spare battery...

9. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Your son is cute. I like the Westie shot and especially the bumble bee. Keep shooting and having fun. The 70-300VR is an excellent lens.