Mallards adopt my pool

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, May 22, 2005.

1. I have a 24 ft above the ground pool in my yard. The cover is still on, and each year, around this time, we are visited by a pair of Mallards. Usually they only stay for an hour or so. This year it has been every morning and evening for the past several days. Here is a shot that I took this evening. In post procesing, I set the WB to daylight. This was taken after 7:00 PM EST. The light was fading fast. Comments welcome as always. :)

[​IMG]

EXIF
    Make : NIKON CORPORATION
    Model : NIKON D100
    DateTime : 2005:05:22 19:24:40
    ExposureTime : 1/60Sec
    FNumber : F2.8
    ExposureProgram : Program Normal
    MaxApertureValue : F2.8
    Flash : Not fired
    FocalLength : 300.00(mm)
    ExposureMode : Auto
    WhiteBalance : Auto
    FocalLength(35mm) : 450(mm)
    ISO Setting : 200
    WhiteBalance : AUTO
    FocusMode : AF-S
    Lens information : 300.0-300.0(mm) F2.8-F2.8
    FocusArea : DynamicAF (right)
    ColorSpace : MODE2

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi there Ed,

How is the summer treating you. Nice to be there, I am sure.

Your visitors are a delight.

Great shots.

Will wait for little fuzzies from this pair :>)))

I see you are sooting the D100 almost all auto. Do you think that is a good working place. Let me know, I may try that.

3. All auto

Hi Gale,
    Thanks for the comments. We are having a cold wet spring, so far. Hopefully things will improve soon.

As far as shooting the D100 all auto is concerned, I usually start out that way. I was tryng for narrow DOF, but the auto setting was already at f2.8. As far as WB, I usually use auto, and correct in NC. Tonight, I shot some using spot metering. The birds were in shadow, but there was a harsh sun in the adjacent background. I think that my choice of auto comes from my fire photography. I usually don't get a lot of time to compose or play with adjustments there. I do check exposure on the histogram, and will compensate if necesary. Maybe I am just becoming a lazy old man LOL :D

Have a good one.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Ed,

I would sure like to get lazy at shooting. lolol All those settings all the time get to be a pain.

I love to PP, only wish I was a bit better at it.

Thanks again.

Wishing you sun and warmth.

5. mari

mari Guest

Hi Ed,

Beautiful picture of those mallards. Maybe they want to swim in the pool and are waiting for you to uncover it. I did not know you have a pool. It is very hot already here and my grandkids are enjoying swimming again.
    We are having a barbecue next Saturday.

Maria

6. Beautiful clear shot Ed!! :D :D :D

7. Pool

Hi Maria,
    I hope that it gets warm enough to open the pool soon. It seems that we are stuck in the 60s around here.
    Thanks for your comments. We usually only get on visit by the Mallards. This year they like the pond effect of the water on the pool cover plus they have plenty of food. Maybe I will get some good shots, if the sun ever comes back out.
    :D

8. Very nice some in house entertaimnet. Hasnt this weather been a kicker lately

9. Mallards

Hi Bryan,
    Thanks for the comments. It is surprising what shows up in my back yard. :D

10. Weather

Hi Mike,

Yeah, my back deck is becoming an observation platform. You never know what is going to visit the feeder.

The weather is another story. We came home from the trailer early because of the rain and cool weather. I hope it gets better. Good luck at Bombay Hook. :)