Malware

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Pa, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:01 PM.

1. My MacBook Pro has been infected with some sort of malware.

In a Safari window, when I click on any link (such as a thread in Nikon Cafe) I get a new tab with something like this:

Malware.

It is not the same thing each time; sometimes it is a warning to update Java or something else. I've even gotten a window that spoofs Apple Tech support, warning that I seem to be infected with unwanted pop-ups, call this number xxx-xxx-xxxx or participate in an online chat.

I have MalwareBytes and have run a scan, which finds nothing.

I deleted all cookies and restarted the computer. No change.

It only happens in Safari; FireFox seems to be o.k.

Do you computer folks have any suggestions?

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    Check the extensions for something that installed itself. Safari used to have the ability to reset itself but i'm not sure if it is still around (i don't use safari anymore). I'd be looking at the preferences for Safari as well. If you delete the preferences, Safari will regenerate.

3. I take it you have never installed McAfee?
    I'm surprised Malwarebytes did not find anything.
    It usually catches everything.
    If you have a Time Machine backup before this started it might be worth it to go back a day or two if you do not risk losing too much.

4. Thanks, guys. I'll try your suggestions. No, I've never installed McAfee. My Time Machine backup is about a week old, but I don't use that computer for anything but e-mail and web browsing so maybe that is the way to go.

5. Under the develop tab in safari, clear the caches (if you don't have the develop menu showing in the develop tab you can turn it on on the bottom of the advanced page of preferences). This may empty some junk.

6. Jim,

Found this on another site.

Macaffe causes problems in Mac OS, it prevents nothing but it has a history of OS integration missmanagment

the general consensus in these forms is all mac AV is terrible, it should be removed, it is not a flexible as it is in Windows.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/54519?tstart=0

this is a pop up scam but you should reset safari in the event you have junk installed on it

quit out of safari

hold down shift key

restart safari

if you wish to check your computer for malware the majority if volunteers here recommend malwarebytes for mac.

it's free, and while MWB is relatively new for mac it has been a standard with the windows IT departments of major corporations and windows users as a safe, trusted and competent piece of software. it does what it says - remove existing malware, it does not stay resident and look for it though.

7. Thanks, Dave. If you read above you will see that I have never installed McAfee and I do have malwareBytes installed.

8. Yes
    I read it after I sent the message.

9. I found that my copy of MalwareBytes was out of date, so I installed the latest version. It still says I'm "clean".

10. I have recently been on bona fide regular news sites etc, and occasionally get a squirrelly message saying there is a malware issue and asking to click a link (I don't). When I scan my MBP (Norton) I get clean results. Feeling like the messages are phishing via some link rather than true virus warnings.

11. I know that, the question is how to get rid of it.

12. I was wondering if the message was generated from the website rather than from the anti-virus program on the computer. In other words, maybe it's not there to get rid of, rather a web page pretending to be there. Could explain why your scan shows clean.

13. Yes, I'm sure that's what it is. As I said above, I've never had McAfee antivirus installed.

14. Seems kind of odd they would put today's date on there.
    Might want to try setting your computer date to tomorrow and see if it still there.
    Just a hunch.

15. Are you by any chance running Adblock Plus for Safari?
    That might catch it for you.

16. Just tried that and it doesn't help.

When I opened Nikon Cafe in Safari and clicked on this thread, I got:

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 4.25.06 PM.

p.s. I'm posting this from FireFox.

17. This just keeps getting weird.
    When did you do your last backup?
    If feasible might be best to go back to your last one.

18. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    I have seen that page on my window 10 laptop

19. In which browser?

20. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya