Mamiya 645 images

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by vulturetec, Jun 27, 2007.

1. I've been working on doing high-res scans of some of my B&W negs from the late 80s. These are from my Mamiya 645 (SLR) w/Mamiya 80mm f2.8. I think all were with Kodak T-MAX 100 - probably in T-MAX Developer or D76.

Seneca Rocks, West Virginia
    [​IMG]

Mount Vernon - Alexandria, Virginia
    [​IMG]

Manassas Battlefield Part - Manassas, Virginia
    [​IMG]

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    well aren't these nice! i especially like the two with dramatic skys.... not to say #2 isnt great either... but imagine that one with bright white foliage and a black sky (Infrared!)

3. Incredible clarity. The first is just great!

4. Nice, really nice.

5. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Very nice images! I really love the symmetry of #2

6. Thanks all. The first one has always been my favorite too. It isn't the sharpest of the ones I did from that area, but the best effect. Took me quite awhile to get it right in "digital", but its just about the way my prints look from it.

7. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    Very nice indeed. The first image is my favorite as well. May I ask what scanner you used? I have a pile of MF negs that I'd like to scan.

Chris

8. It's an Epson 4990. I've had very little success using Silverfast on the B&W images, not sure why. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it's lousy. The stock Epson software has been very acceptable right off the bat with just a little tweaking.

9. Back to the Future

Scott

You're helping me revive my interest in Black and White photography. May just have to start taking pictures with the zone system in mind again.

Have you thought of using Black and White filters on your digital camera to obtain the same kind of contrasts? Not that I did all that much of this in the past, but I do have a couple of Black and White filters kicking around somewhere.

10. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    IMO B&W film is something that you can't replicated on digital ATM, the tonality of something like HP5+ is just amazing.

11. Here's another one from the same scanner for comparison. This from a 4x5 neg, really not the best contrast wise (it was after sunset, on a pretty gray day). My only complaint is that they made it unnecessarily difficult to open the scanner bed to clean the glass. It isn't a big deal, but it should be easier. On the other hand I've only had to clean it once in the past year due to some fogging of the interior glass.

Click for larger image
    [​IMG]

12. Thanks!

No - I haven't even done any straight B&W with my digital stuff, but I've made B&W from color images... with that in mind, there are ways you can simulate using different filters to make B&W images with a color original. After that you can tweak the curves a little to make the contrast effects you like. Kind of gives you the best of all worlds until you start comparing to large format negs.

This is one of the few pure-digital B&W images I've done, it's originally from color with my D70:
    [​IMG]

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I know purists frown on using filters with B&W film, but I really like the effect! Almost the first thing I do with a new lens is get a red filter for it.

Those 645 shots are great! You are making me want to dig mine out and shoot some medium format film! But I'll have to wait 'til fall... :(

14. I've never heard that one before. Those must be the same ones that think dodging and burning is cheating. I wonder what the "purists" would say if we still only had orthochromatic films :)

I'm with you, I usually used at least a yellow filter to give skies a little more density.

Except for work I doubt I'll ever buy film again. I'm holding on to all my older equipment for now though.

15. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    These are all lovely! It's really hard to pick a favorite but the contrast in the first image really catches me. Is there banding in the #3 sky or is it just my monitor?

16. Thanks. I see the banding too, not sure if its from the scanning software or what. I'm trying to redo it though.

17. These are all nice but the first one is super. Thanks for sharing.

18. I enjoyed looking at these. It's hard to beat the tones on MF.