Man Can’t Explain Why Prize-Winning Photo is Identical to Another Photog’s

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Reminds me of an experience I had.

I like to photograph the places and architecture around where I live. I did a series on fortified farm houses that are a feature of our mountains. I run a Blog where I post stuff about my travels. I also have a collection of local books about my area.

Browsing through a new publication in a bookshop, I came across some pictures that were strangely familiar. A farmhouse pictured in the snow sealed it. The author had lifted a whole series of pictures from my blog.

I sent a letter to the publisher with copies of my pictures attached where I complained about the image theft, I asked for payment.

They replied half-heartedly that the author had told them that the pictures were his, and anyway that they always got photographers to “gift” their photography to them as they did not have money to pay for photography. Yes, the usual sad story.

The “author” and “photographer” turned out to be the ex-vice Mayor of Modena, a big city just down the road, he continues to publish with the publisher. I did not take legal action as it was just not worth the time I would waste and cost of legal advice.

They did send me a free copy of the book though. I was tempted to burn it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom